• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

not eating caecatrophs and no hay.

fairy75

Young Bun
I recently " aquired " a rabbit, (rehomed for a friend of a friend)
this rabbit eats no hay at all, Ive tried different types, she turns her nose up at them all, she doesnt eat grass or readygrass either.

she is slightly overweight she has a dewlap and even though she doesnt look overly podgy, she feels a lot heftier than my other buns of the same breed/size
she isnt eating her caecals, in fact ive had to start washing her bottom as they are sticking...yet I dont think the reason she isnt eating them is her weight, as after her butt bath Ive seen her cleaning that area herself...

any ideas?

she eats veggies , though not as into them as my other buns, and she eats rabbit royale, which she doesnt selectively eat.

I would strongly recommend you take her to a vet.

I would strongly suspect dental issues if shes not eating hay or caecotrophs and is getting a messy bum.

yes, I was going to take her, as obviously the way she is she is going to need rearguarding, especially as the warmer weather aproaches

I just wish pet shops and breeders would educate, she had been kept with nothing but straw for bedding and fed nothing but muesli and carrots, she had never been let out in a run, shes 9 months old bless her, she must have been terribly bored:(

I am having exactly this problem with a foster bun who was only ever fed on a mix. I have hay tucked in nooks and crannies as well as some on the roof because you know know what they are like for tugging stuff through from the top of the cage!

I have tried bagged hay, farm hay, hay with dandelions through it and various dried plants and leaves from the big bags I get from zooplus. All he does is take a strand, nibble it into two bits and drops them on the floor.

He has been checked by the vet who said his molars are misaligned and if he doesn't start eating hay then he will have big problems. At my vet's suggestion, he gets virtually no mix now in an effort to get the hay consumption up.

Let me know if you find a trick or way that will work!

Back