• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit pee up the radiator- i knew it- males do make more mess than females!

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Okay so i have a few males indoors. I have noticed consistently pee up the radiator next to there enclosures- neutered males!!. This not being so with females. Anyone else get this problem indoors and what do you do to prevent it or do you just live with it and clean it off? Only thing is it's also going to go up the wallpaper if i don't watch it and that will be a mission to sort. They binky and pee upwards, the girls don't obviously which in my mind makes them cleaner and easier to live with than male buns. Anyone else find this?

That sounds like spraying :?
As Becky asks :)

Thansk what i'd say too. If they are recently neutered they would still spray. Saying that, one of the foster buns we have in at the moment still sprays in his hutch and he has been neutered ages :?

Hows the rescue coming along? :)

Yep.. Ive a boy who binkies and sprays.. and its not an imaginary spray either... its a real spray:roll:
Hes been neutered 2 years!!!

Even if neutered, a lot will constantly mark their territory if they can see/smell other rabbits..it's something you'll have to learn to live with!
Some does will do it too

Even if neutered, a lot will constantly mark their territory if they can see/smell other rabbits..it's something you'll have to learn to live with!
Some does will do it too

I never thought of this, we don't keep rabbits in the same room unless they are already paired. The only time we do is if they are in after neutering.

With the warmer weather coming up maybe they can move outside? :)

Will definately be moving smudge outside for the summer. I've never known a bunny spray so much. I haven't got any does who spray up the walls. He has only been neutered a month or so though. I only have another male bun in the same room as him that is solo as i've rearranged things. Think maybe the other male presence is enough to set him off. It really is binky spraying though. The binkying i don't mind- just the spray :) It's really yuk to think of it going up the walls- especially where the pee will kind of blend in with the wallpaper. I know i can wipe it off the radiators so that's not a problem.

I have two other dental buns who have been neutered over a year also spray up the radiators and the walls of my previous house. Fortunately i could wipe clean as it was painted. I will be able to have them out in the summer too which will be nice. I just kept them in over the winter with it being so harsh and it's no good really after anesthetic to be putting them out in minus weathers i didn't think, even after 24 hours.

The rescue is going fine thankyou Becky, all buns i have neutered that have come to me, just having to finish getting some vaccinations upto date. Also turns out a couple of the buns including smudge look like they are going to be dental buns. Smudge looks like he has malocclusion, so those teeth will be coming out. It's hard to tell yet though. I know they filed them down last time, so they may go be ok, but judging by the way the are aligned - i doubt it.

Does anyone know how to get rabbit urine off wallpaper, or am i going to have to redecorate? xx

We got Echo from the SSPCA at 2 yrs old (approx), so he was fully mature before he was neutered - it took him about a year to stop the occasional spraying - I *think* (someone might correct me) that maybe it becomes learned behaviour, so continues even as their hormones calm down.

yep carlo is a messy bunny, and he lives indoors, it's just his poopies that he likes to scatter though. I just have to sweep the room up when I get home from work, it's no biggy :wave:

We got Echo from the SSPCA at 2 yrs old (approx), so he was fully mature before he was neutered - it took him about a year to stop the occasional spraying - I *think* (someone might correct me) that maybe it becomes learned behaviour, so continues even as their hormones calm down.

Thanks. I find females are amazing though in terms of hygiene!

yep carlo is a messy bunny, and he lives indoors, it's just his poopies that he likes to scatter though. I just have to sweep the room up when I get home from work, it's no biggy :wave:

Oh yes, i think they all do poo everywhere- that's no problem, easy sweeping up. Just the urine that definately causes problems if it gets into the wallpaper. Can i just wash wallpaper down and it come off- is there any solution i can make up to disinfect it that won't damage the paper? x

Back