• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

This cage ok as a base?

Will they be free-range in the room at night too?

If not I would say it would be a tad small for a pair, unless they were small bunnies.

If they are going to be free-range at night too, its more than adequate :)

They would have to have a good aim to jump in and out of that? The door is really small. Are they going to be free ranging as you sleep?

If they are total free rang do they need a cage as such? why not just a big litter tray :) xx

I've got a similar one, the Ferplast 140 and they are huge, much bigger than you'd imagine, so make sure you measure up to check there's enough space before you buy it

The door is fairly small, but as long as the bun isnt short-sighted and is a decent jumper should be okay. My old cage had a door like that and my bun used to catch his feet on the door, he hurt himself a few times. I suggest you remove the door on it. Even when I did that he still caught his feet on the base as he jumped in or out. He's not a small bun either. It meant I had to keep hay and water outside of the cage as well as he was relunctant to jump back in often. It defeated the point of having a cage tbh so I made a NIC cube cage twice the size for the same or less money.

This is what I mean, the first cage is just over 120cm (4ft) long, the second 140cm and square (4ft 8inches x 4ft 8inches) but a lot wider too so it gives a lot more space. The shelf also increases the space available, I could make it larger if I wanted but havent got round to it yet. It gives currently over 27sqft of space whereas the 120cm cage only gave 8sqft. The cage you are showing gives you 10sqft, assuming it is 2ft wide, some are narrower.

I have put the rabbit in for size comparison. He is classed as large or medium-large.

SAM_0368.jpg

SAM_0608.jpg

Last edited:
They would have to have a good aim to jump in and out of that? The door is really small. Are they going to be free ranging as you sleep?

If they are total free rang do they need a cage as such? why not just a big litter tray :) xx

the door looks quite big actully ?

The cage is just under 5ft long by just under 2.5ft wide. Not sure if bunny will be able to free range at night but definately during the day. I had a look at making a c&c sort of set up but can't find the grids anywhere, B&Q don't seem to do them anymore and the only website that I can find that does metal grids charges an arm and a leg, well over £150 for the amount of grids I would need.

As always, thank you all for your advice.

They can be hard to source at the moment. Have you tried ebay?

I got enough for my cage and enough to bunny proof my room, I still have some left over, and it cost me about £100.

A dog crate might be a little cheaper, and as they're taller you could put a second level in yourself. :wave:

A dog crate might be a little cheaper, and as they're taller you could put a second level in yourself. :wave:

^^ True....ask "GrahamL" where he got his - its huge and he can sit in it...would be ok for bun for a little while...then you could add NIC cubes for extra space so bun is safe to free range at night too!

B&Q are adveritsing the cubes...but they dont seem to have them in stock...Id ring anyway though...
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...mpid=4&tmad=c&ecamp=cse_go&CAWELAID=488394509

Also wickes do these ones....
http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/165125

Rec, from the GP forum...scroll down to the advert.....maybe contact them to ask about a deal if you need a large amount?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220638396531&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

There are some pics on page 1 & 2 of the 2 types of cubes used ot make pens etc....
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=63847

It's the same area as a 4'x3' dog crate or a 6'x2' hutch, so yes, but unless your picking if for the design, a dog crate would be cheaper :)

I was browsing through preloved on Sunday and came across a free rabbit that had been spayed and vaccinated and also came with her cage, to cut a long story short I ended up taking her home with me before finding out I was allergic to her, just 3 days after she had arrived I had no choice but to give her back to her old owner. She had really thick, plush fur that moulted a lot and so made me sneeze a great deal as well as giving me itchy and runny eyes. I'm unsure as to whether I am allergic to all rabbits or just certain ones as when I work with the buns at college I'm fine. Getting a rabbit is understandably being put on hold for now. :(

Back