• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

*Cry* at the end of my patience

smoo

Mama Doe
At 6am every morning Indy has woken me up by digging, digging on the floor, in his litter tray, rattling the cages.
I'm getting really upset because I don't know what to do, they've got plenty of space to run around in, lots of toys and stimulation but he still does it.

I've even been looking at sheds so they can go outside it getting that bad. :cry::cry::cry:

Unfortunately that's the time they're active in the morning... and they go to sleep at 8 the little vandals!
Are they in your room?

no we have a small bungalow and there isn't anywhere else I can put them. ive just opened there cages to allow them the whole room to run around now.

I just don't know what to do. if anything?!?!

Probably if you used to put them in the cage at night, letting them run free is the right thing to do.
I'll also teach you a trick: Mango used to dig in his cage. A LOT. I made the buns a toy with a cardboard box filled with newspaper strips, hay, treats and some absorbent litter. They love to dig in that and it's much less noisy that when they dig on a hard surface.

Can they change room? Its fairly normal for buns to be awake and active at that time especially now its getting lighter in the morning. Maybe a shed would be better for them once it warms up a bit

Mine do this occasionally - have found that earplugs are the way forward - also helps block the noisy upstairs neighbours at bedtime.

First week they moved in I didnt sleep at all cos of little paws going zoomzoomzoom...

Unless you are a night time or shift worker can I suggest that you just start getting up at 6am? Its really not that early (sorry - not meant to sound harsh but it seems the obvious solution).

Unless you are a night time or shift worker can I suggest that you just start getting up at 6am? Its really not that early (sorry - not meant to sound harsh but it seems the obvious solution).

:lol: I must admit I did think that, even if you just get up and get them some greens/herbs have a little run around and then go back to bed (if your wanting more sleep) saying that, summer is coming yay so it might be worth investigating options of having outdoorsies in the spring/summer and indoor for winter if you have the choice. They are only going to get earlier and earlier as the lighter mornings draw in aswell so definately worth thinking about :wave:

You say they have 'plenty of space to run around in and toys'.

How much is 'plenty' of space in your house? I only ask, and dont mean to be flippant, but any animal that loves to be active who is locked behind 'bars' as such is going to get annoyed at some point. Any chance you could leave them out permanently, if bunny proofing is an option?

I'll swap you for my four dogs that bark from 5-30am onwards because they want to go out for a wee:shock:

I'll swap you having to be up at 5.30am to be able to get to the gym before work:lol:

Buns dig, so I would suggest moving him elsewhere, or providing a box/somewhere you WANT him to dig

Yeah - that sounds like the right time for my two aswell. I dont mind on weekdays but a lie in on the weekend would be nice :lol::lol:

Seriously, my kids spet years getting up early and i couldnt lay in - now they slepp til noon, the buns are waking me! :lol::lol:

Wouldnt want it any other way though :love: I get peace and quiet and a cuppa before the mayhem ensues and lots of bunny nose rubs thrown into it! :love:

Bunny proofing the room and leaving the cage perminatly open works - but then they just binky on your head instead

Mine are exactly the same, so I now never have a lie in anymore and I'm permanently knackered! I tend to get up at 6.30 and give them their breakfast, and they settle down after that, so sometimes I get back in bed for a bit :) I dont have kids but I really think they'd be a doddle after having buns!! No offence intended to anyone with kids!! :lol:

My two start tearing around in the room next door at about 6ish, usually when I have to get up anyway. But at the weekend, I just go feed them then go back to bed, that usually calms them down

I have to wear ear plugs every night anyway as my OH snores really loudly so I wouldn't even know if my buns make any noise or not :lol: I've got used to wearing them now but I don't really have a choice, unless anyone knows of any miracle snoring cures.

Bunnies are meant to dig so it shouldn't be anything that you should prevent them doing, the only thing I can suggest is moving them, closing a door (unless they are in your room with you?), get up and feed them or use ear plugs.

Thanks for your reply guys, I think the only 2 options are, getting up earlier to give them more time to run around or getting something outside for more space.
When we are home they have a whole room, around 10 by 11 and when we are out they have a hutch with a run attached.
I've got loads of room in the garden as it's massive and i'll have a bit of spare money next month so i'll see if I can get something suitable for them to be outside in the summer and in during winter.

No offence taken to any posts at all. I didn't actually think about getting up earlier :roll: typical me. I'm just lazy.

At 6am every morning Indy has woken me up by digging, digging on the floor, in his litter tray, rattling the cages.
I'm getting really upset because I don't know what to do, they've got plenty of space to run around in, lots of toys and stimulation but he still does it.

I've even been looking at sheds so they can go outside it getting that bad. :cry::cry::cry:

scooter does this all the time there is no way around it im sorry all u can do is buy some ears plugs. if it helps ive gotten use to it to the point were it doesnt wake m eup anymore and if it does i just put ear plugs.

I know you've said you don't have room but I'd seriously recommend moving them to another room. I have never understood how people can cope with bunnies in bedrooms! Oidhche is free-range in our kitchen and it works very well, as long as they're litter trained. :wave:

Back