• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch covering, Options other than Tarpaulin?

gareth_mattey

Warren Scout
Hi,

Well my buns are going to be going outside in the next month.

I'm getting them a hutch cover made to fit which is £125, dont have that kind of cash spare at the moment so i was going to cover the front of the hutch with tarpaulin.

Is there any alternatives to tarpaulin so they can see or even get daylight?

Tarpaulin isnt see through and during the day at times it will be windy and i dont want them to be in darkness half of the time.

Any help appreciated.

You can get the clear tarp like they use on market stalls, I have the silver foil bubble wrap all around the back and sides, cardboard on top all covered with tarp, I only pull the tarp over the front at night. I have lino on the flooring.

I am getting a kennel and run soon so will have to find a way to keep that warm.

You can get clear tarpaulin but it is more expensive.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=clear+tarpaulin&rls=com.microsoft:en-GB:{referrer:source?}&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7ACAW_en&redir_esc=&ei=Om55TcbGAsWYhQfXlPHoBg#q=clear+tarpaulin&hl=en&safe=off&rls=com.microsoft:en-GB:%7Breferrer:source%3F%7D&rlz=1I7ACAW_en&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=Om55TdrMFoTLhAf89oTjBg&ved=0CD4QrQQ&biw=1366&bih=653&fp=d16e1c3dfcfefcf6

its only to cover the front, the top and sides are protected and its next to a wall too.

Only be temporary for a few months.

If i had my way they wouldnt be outside at all but the mother is complaining about the smell in my room! Even though i empty there litter trays daily etc..

She just has a very sensitive smell i think!

Feel a bit bad sticking them outside but they will have more room i guess!

Just make sure it's designed for outdoor use or the UV with make it break down. The plastic they use for polytunnels works too.

Well im guessing its ok for that since its designed for covering broken windows etc...

All should be ok, there new home is up on tuesday, getting the garden slabs powerwashed on monday before they are put outside.

Might wait a few more weeks yet before actually putting them outside, weather is getting warmer but not sure if too cold still.

Might wait a few more weeks yet before actually putting them outside, weather is getting warmer but not sure if too cold still.

If you can persuade your Mum to let them stay in for a bit longer, I would try to delay it until mid to end of April.

The days are pretty warm now, but the temperature can still drop dramatically at night - a couple of days ago it was -2 when I went out to school at 8.30am, yet daytime temperature was a mild 11 degrees.

Back