PDA

View Full Version : what is he ???

Figget02
10-03-2011, 10:31 PM
Hi i have just brought a rabbit but am usure what breed he is, can anyone help. He is all white with red eyes but has a grey patch on nose and has grey ears. The shop said he was himalayn i think its how its spelt lol. can anyone help ?????:lol:

Sky-O
10-03-2011, 10:35 PM
Nope. Not without a picture, and most likely not util he is fully grown.

Himilayan is a breed and its also a marking that can occur in other breeds so its a bit of an unknown. Californians also have similar markings but are completely different.

That's not very helpful is it. :lol:

Figget02
10-03-2011, 10:39 PM
The pet shop said he is going to be a big bunnie. I dont know how old he is but his testiculs have dropped.He is the olny rabbit is dont know what breed he is and i have 14 of them.

joey
10-03-2011, 11:18 PM
looking forward to a pic of him.:)

Figget02
12-03-2011, 12:18 AM
He also has slightly grey feet and tail

Gem
12-03-2011, 12:42 AM
Does it really matter what he is? I know it's nice to know but he's most likely to be a cross breed if he was from a petshop :)

Will he be neutered and bonded with one or more of your others? :D

rabbitdan
12-03-2011, 01:47 PM
cant wait for a picture. :wave:

Jaysmonkey
12-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Colouring like this? http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s252/Jaysmonkey/SDC15014.jpg

Max is a German Lop; though his colouring confuses me. I bought him and he was pure white; then winter came and his ears started to grey; then his nose and eventually his tail. Now he goes dark dark grey in summer/spring and very pale grey to white in winter/autumn months. He's forever changing. His feet are never darker in any way, just his nose, ears and tail. I have no idea what his colouring his described as either, but he'd my handsome big boy and I loves him :D:love:

Figget02
19-03-2011, 05:45 AM
pictures will be on soon

Bunny lover Ellie
19-03-2011, 08:26 AM
We need pics! :lol::lol::lol:

Figget02
29-03-2011, 09:19 PM
they will be here soon

Figget02
01-04-2011, 10:05 PM
pictures should be on tonite and he will not be neutured.

catxx
01-04-2011, 10:10 PM
he will not be neutured.

:(

Figget02
01-04-2011, 10:14 PM
why the sad face
he is a brilliant breeding rabbit and i very gentle with me and the others i think neutring him may change this.

fluffiebunnie
01-04-2011, 10:15 PM
why the sad face
he is a brilliant breeding rabbit and i very gentle with me and the others i think neutring him may change this.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Dustyrabbit
01-04-2011, 10:17 PM
Neutering will only change his temperament for the better :D

Why would you breed from a rabbit whose breeding you don't know? If you don't know his parentage how can you be sure he doesn't have any inherent health issues?

Also, with more than 33,000 rabbits in rescue why would you want to breed more???????

sally1974
01-04-2011, 10:17 PM
Does he look like this?
http://www.pbase.com/invasion/image/127652804.jpg

Figget02
01-04-2011, 10:21 PM
yes thats him but obversily much bigger lol
and i havent breed him yet just trying to find out what he is then i might and i now he hasnt got any health problems because the vet checked him over after i brought him.

Dustyrabbit
01-04-2011, 10:23 PM
Ah, shame I'm not nearer to you I'd like to have a vet who can see in to the future ;)

sally1974
01-04-2011, 10:24 PM
Yes mine is all grown up as well
http://www.pbase.com/invasion/image/132246130.jpg
Can I just ask why you want to breed? You really should know the history of your rabbit before you even think about it:wave:

catxx
01-04-2011, 10:24 PM
we're pro-rescue anti-breeding on this forum. nearly all of us have rescue rabbits, mongrels from accidental litters, or breeders unwanted stock, or neglect cases, dumped either as babies or as older rabbits no longer wanted (mine were dumped after being with a family for 4 years who decided they wanted a dog instead). this is why keeping him as a "breeding rabbit" when you know nothing about his genetic history will be frowned on here.

fluffiebunnie
01-04-2011, 10:25 PM
we're pro-rescue anti-breeding on this forum. nearly all of us have rescue rabbits, mongrels from accidental litters dumped either as babies or as older rabbits no longer wanted (mine were dumped after being with a family for 4 years who decided they wanted a dog instead). this is why keeping him as a "breeding rabbit" when you know nothing about his genetic history will be frowned on here.

:thumb:

Figget02
01-04-2011, 10:29 PM
i have 7 resuce rabbits so i now many people will just dumped them but i havent breed from him yet.i wanted to know what he was first and when i brought him they gave him details of his mum and dad and if they had any health problems. The vet checked him over before i even considered it.

sally1974
01-04-2011, 10:31 PM
i have 7 resuce rabbits so i now many people will just dumped them but i havent breed from him yet.i wanted to know what he was first and when i brought him they gave him details of his mum and dad and if they had any health problems. The vet checked him over before i even considered it.

There is alot to think about, do you have homes lined up for them? Can you afford to buy them new hutches if you dont sell them? can you afford vet treatment if they get ill? Would it not be better to get him neutered and get him a little friend:wave:

catxx
01-04-2011, 10:32 PM
while I don't REALLY want to turn the whole thread into an OMG breeding?!!? thing, why really do you want to breed him? just because he has pretty colours? seems pointless to be honest. if I could wave a magic wand I would make sure no pet rabbits were bred for a couple of years, including show rabbits, and ban them from sale from pet shops, to help the rescues catch up with the endless rehoming and rehabilitation they need to do!

tiger_lily
01-04-2011, 10:33 PM
Please read this (http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/breeding.html) before you think about breeding him because he has nice colouring...

kayleighjennifer
01-04-2011, 10:34 PM

His mother and father will more than likely be stuck in a tiny cage and be no older than 1 year and at this age health problems don't show up, even if they are healthy what are their parents like and further down the lines? I don't understand why you would put a female rabbit at risk by breeding her and adding to more rabbits needing homes?:?

Georgeypudding
01-04-2011, 10:37 PM
and i havent breed him yet just trying to find out what he is then i might and i now he hasnt got any health problems because the vet checked him over after i brought him.

he's healthy now but what about when he gets older? My 2 were originally from Pets@home, one has had her front teeth removed due to dental problems through bad breeding, she also has some underlying problems that havent been diagnosed causing her to loose weight randomly.
Sebastian is also at risk of having tooth problems even though he looked perfectly normal when he was a baby.

If I was going to breed I would want to know the family history as far back as possible. Not just the parents

steph182
01-04-2011, 10:39 PM

His parents health doesn't mean he is healthy. You have no idea if he could end up with extreme tooth problems which would pass down to any kits.
If you seriously want to breed properly, you need to know several generations of genetics on BOTH sides. So many genetations on his mothers side and his fathers.
You will not know this, and a vet check means nothing.
I'm not saying this because I'm against breeding in general, I'm against it because I had my heart ripped into pieces when my last rabbit died at 6 months old. Do not inflict that fate on any rabbits for the sake of his pretty colouring and nice temperment.

sally1974
01-04-2011, 10:40 PM
His parents health doesn't mean he is healthy. You have no idea if he could end up with extreme tooth problems which would pass down to any kits.
If you seriously want to breed properly, you need to know several generations of genetics on BOTH sides. So many genetations on his mothers side and his fathers.
You will not know this, and a vet check means nothing.
I'm not saying this because I'm against breeding in general, I'm against it because I had my heart ripped into pieces when my last rabbit died at 6 months old. Do not inflict that fate on any rabbits for the sake of his pretty colouring and nice temperment.

Great post Steph:thumb:

Figget02
01-04-2011, 10:41 PM
I wouldnt be breeding him for his colours. I have homes lined up for the babies if he has any. Ive heard neutering can put the rabbit in stress and can change them he is such a gentle rabbit i wouldnt want to change that because he is so good. :(

sally1974
01-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Also sometimes things pop up unexpectedly, for instance lat week one of my rabbits bit another which ended up with me having to pay a vets bill of over 100 just for a few stitches. Not trying to lecture you as I don't normally get involved in these debates but there is alot to think about and it isn't always put two bunnies together and end up with 5 happy healthy babies things can and do go wrong. Knowing there history is so important:wave:

sally1974
01-04-2011, 10:44 PM
I wouldnt be breeding him for his colours. I have homes lined up for the babies if he has any. Ive heard neutering can put the rabbit in stress and can change them he is such a gentle rabbit i wouldnt want to change that because he is so good. :(

Neutering will change him for the better:wave:

steph182

There's nothing to breed him for then. Send these lined up homes to a rescue and let them help a rabbit in serious need of a home, not one who has been forced into the world.
Neutering is amazing, it makes rabbits much happier and calmer. Stops them developing negitive traits as they get older, stops unwanted litters and stops the chance of testicular cancer.

Again, I'm not completly against breeding, but you do not know enough about his history (or any potential doe to breed) to ensure that you get healthy kids, not sickly ones who will die young or suffer from problems for their entire life.

Figget02
I now what it means to loose bunnies young i had three that died at 4 weeks due to mother being over breed she couldnt care for her babies. Before we got her she is one of our resue bunnies.

tiger_lily
01-04-2011, 10:45 PM

But giving any kits homes is taking away homes from rabbits stuck in rescues currently. I had my friendly bun neutered about a month ago, and I wasn't sure about it. He has become so laid back and friendly now though I didn't think it was possible. I got a proper cuddle for the first time tonight!
Any stress is worth getting rid of the risk of testicular cancer, spraying, etc IMO... Plus then you could get him a friend too :)

kayleighjennifer
01-04-2011, 10:46 PM

Neutering stop him from getting cancer, it makes them nicer natured and stops unwanted rabbits being brought into the world. Rabbits that are not neutered can become sexually frustrated that then leads to stress and can become very aggressive. I dont know where you got the information from about rabbits being stressed and different after neutering maybe the after and before got some how mixed up:roll:

Justine
01-04-2011, 10:46 PM

How can a shop give you details of the buns mum and dad? :?

emmiiee
01-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Please don't breed him! I had an accidental litter! and did not know about it untill the baby was here!

The thought that I could of lost my rabbit Matilda, because of an underlying illness does not bare thinking about! *touchwood* they are both so far doing okay! but theirs still a chance the baby could die! It's very stressful! I am terrified to check on it in the morning praying its made it through the night!

just enjoy them being rabbits! get him neuted and bonded!!

Figget02
01-04-2011, 10:49 PM
i have several resuce rabbits which are melo,binky,sue,dutchess,shadow,petal, and roxy. Melo and binky were already neutured when i got them. But smudge has the same temperment as them so how will it change him for the good when he such a good rabbit.

steph182
01-04-2011, 10:50 PM
i have several resuce rabbits which are melo,binky,sue,dutchess,shadow,petal, and roxy. Melo and binky were already neutured when i got them. But smudge has the same temperment as them so how will it change him for the good when he such a good rabbit.

They can change at any time when unneutered. Plus, they can still get cancer.

kayleighjennifer
01-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Brick Wall:roll:

tiger_lily
01-04-2011, 10:55 PM

Even if you don't want to neuter him (although personally I think you should) it doesn't mean you have to breed from him

fluffiebunnie
01-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Why risk CANCER?????

steph182
01-04-2011, 11:02 PM
This little girl was my world.
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc37/x_anotherinnocentgirl_x/LGIM0146.jpg

She took bad and within 8 hours, she was dead. I rushed her to the vets in the middle of the night, and spent all the rest of the night awake doing my best to nurse her. Despite doing everything I could, she died in my arms.
She seemed to have had a stroke which caused her to stop eating and made her whole body shut down. She couldn't see, she had no idea what she was doing.
The pain of losing her hasn't got any less in the past 2 years. I still miss her, it broke my heart to know that I tried everything, and I was powerless.
If you breed bunnys when you don't know the history of them, this is the risk.

I don't think there's a reason good enough to put any bunny or owner through the amount of pain I had. She was 6 months old, so happy and had SO much character. If she hadn't had poor breeding, the chances are it wouldn't have happened. Not all problems can be avoided, but if things like this can by not breeding if you aren't 110% sure of several generations having NO health problems, it is not worth it.

I can't describe the pain, but I hope you'll think about what breeding could lead to.

The Duchess
01-04-2011, 11:07 PM
How can a shop give you details of the buns mum and dad? :?

I agree - unless the shop buys from someone that they really know personally - i.e. a friend, they can't know.

An awful lot of rabbits come from breeders who's conditions are like this.

The woman breeding here was producing rabbits for pet shop stock.

Many of the rabbits developed health issues. The thing is if one had taken the rabbits out of this situation and put them into lovely clean hutches you'd think you had a brand new perfect, beautiful rabbit. The truth is far from this - most will have genetic or seriouis aquired health issues.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii277/helenmhalliday/Lymington/30Aug2010008.jpg

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii277/helenmhalliday/Lymington/30Aug2010003.jpg

Some of us from this forum removed 68 bunnies from this mess and the rabbit whose beautiful face is in the lower of the two pictures stayed with me until she died of serious health issues about 3 months after we took the rabbits out.

Bad genetics from bad breeders and awful conditions which you the pet shop purchaser has no idea about.

Mischief and Tinker's Mum
01-04-2011, 11:11 PM
PLEASE DON'T BREED HIM!! Just because th vet checked him over doesn't mean he has no underlying health problems!! There could be a genetic problem. No offence, but if you didn't even know his breed when you got him from a shop then how will you know how to breed responsibly? :roll: Responsible breeders don't buy any bunny from a pet shop to breed! :?

BattleKat
01-04-2011, 11:29 PM

He's still very young, virtually all young rabbits will have a lovely temperament until they start getting hormonal.
Melo and binky might have totally different personalities now had they not been neutered.
At any rate, neutering won't negatively affect a personality and has benefits such as eliminating the risk of testicular cancer, and the fact you can bond him with a friend which will make him so much happier.

As others have said, a vet can't know what his long term health is like from one look, dental issues and other genetic conditions may not show themselves for several years.
Any bun has health risks but pet shop buns are much more prone due to the lack of care over breeding.

Zahirre
02-04-2011, 12:38 AM
Agreed with others... brick wall. Some people just don't seem to have the willingness to listen or learn :roll:

nessar
02-04-2011, 12:55 AM
I know there is a thrianta breeder on here... cant remember her name, could someone PM her and ask her to explain genetic problems to this member? I'm sure she must know a fair bit. eta- have contacted her

Or Sky O but I havent seen her about for a while...

nessar
02-04-2011, 12:56 AM
Oh and also you cant know what his teeth will be like until he is older and has them checked under general anesthetic - so you cannot know that he does not have bad teeth (which is genetic).

I am not against responsible breeding, however just breeding with no thought for genetics I am against. If you want to breed you should go to a reputable breeder and buy rabbits that you know the genetic history of.

eta - would it not be better for him to have a friend? He can never have a friend if you dont get him neutered and will be condemned to a life of lonliness.

Emmz
02-04-2011, 02:38 AM

I was worried about this but after my Terry recovered from his neutering he was just the same rabbit he was before the surgery. He now has a lionhead lady, my 2nd bunny Pomme, as his companion and they seem pretty happy so far (they have only fully lived together for a week and interacted with each other for about 2 and a half months).

He doesn't pay as much attention to me any more but I see this in a way as a good thing as wanting him to just enjoy my company and not another bunnys would have been selfish. He is still very well behaved though and even though it was hard work getting a larger home and a 2nd rabbit I know it will be better for his quality of life.

MichG
02-04-2011, 07:53 AM
He's still very young, virtually all young rabbits will have a lovely temperament until they start getting hormonal.
Melo and binky might have totally different personalities now had they not been neutered.
At any rate, neutering won't negatively affect a personality and has benefits such as eliminating the risk of testicular cancer, and the fact you can bond him with a friend which will make him so much happier.

Totally true, one of my boys was absolutely lovely until he was about 6 months, he was soooo laid back and calm and cuddly, then it was like someone flicked a switch insdide him and he became a complete terror over night!! Horrible! I had him neutered and it all went away and he came back to being a lovely bunny but even more chilled than he was before!!

Plus it saves them getting sexually frustrated, and if you did pair him up with a girl (who is neutered) the poor thing will end up getting humped all the time, and that can lead to fighting and injury and possible death.

With the breeding. I work for a rescue and I just don't see the need to bring any more rabbits into the world especially whose genetic history is not known (I guess I could maybe possibly understand it if they were a pedegree and you can trace their family back for a lot of generations... even then I don't support) We have well over 100 rabbits who need good homes, including a lot of baby bunnies at the moment from a massive rescue that took place, and we are struggling to rehome them all, so I urge you to rething the breeding.

breeze
02-04-2011, 08:31 AM
please dont breed from him.just because the vet said hes healthy doesnt mean he isnt carrying genetics defects that wont pop up with him but any babies he has.and pet shop rabbits arent bred for health they are bred for bulk :( ok im not saying breeders are good but there are afew out there who know the full genetic history etc.and even this cannot guarentee a healthy rabbit.
where the pics of him?:)

Jaysmonkey
02-04-2011, 08:42 AM

So you're vet knows this bunnies history then? ;)

Sky-O
02-04-2011, 09:04 AM
I know there is a thrianta breeder on here... cant remember her name, could someone PM her and ask her to explain genetic problems to this member? I'm sure she must know a fair bit. eta- have contacted her

Or Sky O but I havent seen her about for a while...

:wave:

I don't mind talking to the OP, but only if he wants to. I can talk to him about the risks, how to be responsible, the drawbacks, etc. I'm not going to force myself on him though. He can PM me if he wishes to talk about how to be responsible if he is going to breed.

Also, for clarity (for the OP mainly), I'm not anti breeding, I'm anti irresponsibility (which covers all ownership of rabbits, not just breeding them).

Starlight
02-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Even if his teeth were to be fine, and everything else, if he is a carrier of some bad traits, then all his offspring will bear the direct traits and have the problems.

I had a pregnant rabbit come to me. She had 4 babies which died 2 days later. Two days after, she had her uterus prolapse through her vagina, and needed two emergency operations, and a weeks stay at the vets. She cost in a week, around 700 and we almost lost her.

Do you want to potentially have these problems with the doe whom you choose to breed with?

A vet check says nothing bar that externally they are healthy. It is the genes and internally where those problems lie.

DemiS
02-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Ok, I'm a breeder and have been researching rabbit reproduction ever since I got my first rabbit many years ago.

Firstly, you don't know your rabbits breed. I don't want to sound harsh here but to me that shows a lack of experience.

'he is a brilliant breeding rabbit and i very gentle with me and the others i think neutring him may change this.'

A lot of rabbits are gentle, it doesn't mean they should be bred. Even if the parents are the friendliest rabbits you've met, they could still have an aggressive litter. And neutering will calm a rabbit down if anything, stop them being as sexually frustrated and teritorial.

'and i havent breed him yet just trying to find out what he is then i might and i now he hasnt got any health problems because the vet checked him over after i brought him.'

It dosen't matter how healthy they look on the outside, you have NO idea what underlying genetic problems they could be carrying. Another thrianta breeder I know has rabbits which look in tip top condition, a vet would most likely say the same, but there must be an underlying issue because he keeps loosing his doe's shortly after they've given birth.

Another breeder friend of mine, who is actually on this forum, has rabbits that also look to be in perfect condition, again a vet would say the same, yet she bred two of these rabbits and they produced two babies. One I believe seemed perfectly healthy, but died of a fit at a young age (I believe? If you're reading this could you please confirm), the other was a lovely little rabbit, but he had really bad eye problems and very unusual fur, he was born blind in one eye and an eye eventually had to be removed, he died during the op which could be due to other underlying issues :(

'they gave him details of his mum and dad and if they had any health problems. The vet checked him over before i even considered it.'

Again, they can't tell what underlying issues the parents have. No offence to your pet shop, but a lot of rabbits bred for the pet shop trade will come from places similar to puppy farms. I wouldn't be suprised if a lot were inbred, which would make health problems even more likely. Does every rabbit from that pet shop come from a very responsible breeder who knows the genetic history of both parents going back for many generations?

'Ive heard neutering can put the rabbit in stress and can change them he is such a gentle rabbit i wouldnt want to change that because he is so good.'

The rabbit is under anasthetic during the operation. They'll be a bit groggy for a day or two afterwards, but should be fine after that. And as I've said earlier, your rabbit should be even friendlier if anything. Females have a VERY high chance of developing uterine cancer if not spayed, males are also more likely to develop testicular cancer if not neutered.

You also say you have homed lines up for the babies, well done for this, but how well do you know the potential owners? My rabbits don't go 'first come first serve' basis, they go to the best owners. I ask as many questions as possible, find out as much about the owners as possible and they're experience with rabbits, I don't rehome rabbits that are going to be childrens pets, and I even home check if possible, or if that's not possible I ask for pictures and a description of the rabbits set up. I also stress to new owners that if they find they can't look after their rabbit anymore, to return them to me or at least tell me where the rabbit is going.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions

CharlotteMc
02-04-2011, 12:52 PM
I have 4 rabbits all are rescues, they are all frienbldy and gentle that doent mean I am going to breed from them. I am guessing he is from a pets shop in that case alot of pet shops and suppliers to pets shops inbreed rabbits which casues alot of health problems. if you was to breed from him and you have no history than the babies may also have health problems. Why breed pet/cross breed rabbits when there are already so many in rescues. I am no fully anti breeding bevcasue I think breding for a good intention (to improve the breed like demi does id fine) BUT i really dont see the point in pet breeding.

catxx
02-04-2011, 12:57 PM
....I wonder if Figget is coming back?

Radish
02-04-2011, 05:03 PM
Neutering stop him from getting cancer, it makes them nicer natured and stops unwanted rabbits being brought into the world. Rabbits that are not neutered can become sexually frustrated that then leads to stress and can become very aggressive. I dont know where you got the information from about rabbits being stressed and different after neutering maybe the after and before got some how mixed up:roll:

Whilst I don't agree with breeding, my male rabbit was a lovely sweet natured friendly chap until I had him castrated.....after his castrate he turned into an aggressive and vicious rabbit and it wasn't territorial aggression, the op completely changed the nature of my bun.
I also have an aggressive female who changed into the horror that she is today, as a result of her being spayed. my other buns were just the same as ever after their ops but from my experience it really can change them for the worst as well as for the better.:)

DemiS
02-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Whilst I don't agree with breeding, my male rabbit was a lovely sweet natured friendly chap until I had him castrated.....after his castrate he turned into an aggressive and vicious rabbit and it wasn't territorial aggression, the op completely changed the nature of my bun.
I also have an aggressive female who changed into the horror that she is today, as a result of her being spayed. my other buns were just the same as ever after their ops but from my experience it really can change them for the worst as well as for the better.:)

Thats why before I said it 'should' make them friendlier, I hardly ever hear stories of rabbits getting worse, although it is possible, it's a lot more likely they'll get even better

Bunni_xx
02-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Ok, I'm a breeder and have been researching rabbit reproduction ever since I got my first rabbit many years ago.

Firstly, you don't know your rabbits breed. I don't want to sound harsh here but to me that shows a lack of experience.

'he is a brilliant breeding rabbit and i very gentle with me and the others i think neutring him may change this.'

A lot of rabbits are gentle, it doesn't mean they should be bred. Even if the parents are the friendliest rabbits you've met, they could still have an aggressive litter. And neutering will calm a rabbit down if anything, stop them being as sexually frustrated and teritorial.

'and i havent breed him yet just trying to find out what he is then i might and i now he hasnt got any health problems because the vet checked him over after i brought him.'

It dosen't matter how healthy they look on the outside, you have NO idea what underlying genetic problems they could be carrying. Another thrianta breeder I know has rabbits which look in tip top condition, a vet would most likely say the same, but there must be an underlying issue because he keeps loosing his doe's shortly after they've given birth.

Another breeder friend of mine, who is actually on this forum, has rabbits that also look to be in perfect condition, again a vet would say the same, yet she bred two of these rabbits and they produced two babies. One I believe seemed perfectly healthy, but died of a fit at a young age (I believe? If you're reading this could you please confirm), the other was a lovely little rabbit, but he had really bad eye problems and very unusual fur, he was born blind in one eye and an eye eventually had to be removed, he died during the op which could be due to other underlying issues :(

'they gave him details of his mum and dad and if they had any health problems. The vet checked him over before i even considered it.'

Again, they can't tell what underlying issues the parents have. No offence to your pet shop, but a lot of rabbits bred for the pet shop trade will come from places similar to puppy farms. I wouldn't be suprised if a lot were inbred, which would make health problems even more likely. Does every rabbit from that pet shop come from a very responsible breeder who knows the genetic history of both parents going back for many generations?

'Ive heard neutering can put the rabbit in stress and can change them he is such a gentle rabbit i wouldnt want to change that because he is so good.'

The rabbit is under anasthetic during the operation. They'll be a bit groggy for a day or two afterwards, but should be fine after that. And as I've said earlier, your rabbit should be even friendlier if anything. Females have a VERY high chance of developing uterine cancer if not spayed, males are also more likely to develop testicular cancer if not neutered.

You also say you have homed lines up for the babies, well done for this, but how well do you know the potential owners? My rabbits don't go 'first come first serve' basis, they go to the best owners. I ask as many questions as possible, find out as much about the owners as possible and they're experience with rabbits, I don't rehome rabbits that are going to be childrens pets, and I even home check if possible, or if that's not possible I ask for pictures and a description of the rabbits set up. I also stress to new owners that if they find they can't look after their rabbit anymore, to return them to me or at least tell me where the rabbit is going.

Great post. No offence, but a good breeder would know the FULL family history, it's breed, and any possible health problems. I know a litter of buns who had such lovely, gentle parents, but they were so agressive they had to be PTS. They lunged at their daughter, killed another rabbit and seriously injured a cat (frenchie). :cry:

casperthebun
02-04-2011, 06:48 PM

got to agree with demismith, i personally wouldn;t breed from your bunny if i where you with him being petshop bought, you don;t know enough about his background etc

also hasn;t one of you female rabbits just lost a litter? :? i would advise getting her speyed and your male neutered, to prevent any heartache, i know she was a rescue but it shows how hard it is to breed responsibly and its best to know their background etc

cas

Figget02
09-04-2011, 03:15 AM
yes i have got a female who lost a litter not that long ago and had her spayed already and i took smudge to the vets and got him done. I wasnt going to breed him i was just thinking about but changed my mind. I will have the pictures of him on here soon. :)

Barn Yard Bunnies
09-04-2011, 07:14 AM
Glad you got him neutered. Hope he is going well since he was done. :wave:

KoShiatar
09-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Thats why before I said it 'should' make them friendlier, I hardly ever hear stories of rabbits getting worse, although it is possible, it's a lot more likely they'll get even better

Maia was the same lady as before. :lol:
But Mango had started pestering her (they were never really together before he was fixed but you could see what he had in his mind... :lol:) and humping my foot. That won him a trip to the plum fairy and he's been a star since.

halfpenny
09-04-2011, 08:31 AM
yes i have got a female who lost a litter not that long ago and had her spayed already and i took smudge to the vets and got him done. I wasnt going to breed him i was just thinking about but changed my mind. I will have the pictures of him on here soon. :)

So are you breeding from the 'rescued' rabbits?

Grin
09-04-2011, 08:52 AM

How old is smudge? Could it be he's not reached sexual maturity yet?

Figget02
10-04-2011, 04:04 AM
He is about nine months old now.

Crystal butterfly
10-04-2011, 09:08 AM
im glad you chose not to breed. just want to tell you of my breeding experience,

When i got my first rabbits Crystal and Smudge, both beautiful rabbits I decided it would be cute to breed them, Crystal had 5 babies. At this point both these rabbits were very healthy with no health problems at all.

Everything was great however at about 11 days old when their eyes started opening one of the babies appeared to have a sore eye the moment his eye opened we tried eye creams and everything the soreness just wouldnt go away he started to need regular tear duct flushes which cost alot of money when done regular!! unfortunatly he died after taking a fit :( i had to keep him as he was unrehomable with his eye problem.

another baby at 4 weeks old i noticed his teeth were grwing up his lip, he needed to get his bottom teeth clipped everyweek as they grew that fast!! he had an overshot jaw meaning his teeth were deformed basically. I did find i home for him where the girl promised to have his front teeth removed when he was old enough to be placed under aneasthetic.... however i didnt know this girl so for all I know he could have been bought as snake food :cry:

those babies cost my 100's in vet bills just from these deformaties and heath problems I could have prevented teh suffering of those babies by not bringing them in the world.... and guess what my perfectly healthy rabbit Crystal at the time developed bad dental problems come age 2 not even a vet could have seen that coming at 6 months old when i bred her!

and to add although I only brought 5 babies in the world I dont know if the new owners bred from the babies so i could be responsable for many babies being born not just 5!