• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

water bottle advice

dcs

New Kit
We are new to the whole bunny experience so would like some advice on good water bottles available. I bought 2 standard ones from Wilkos but they just continually drip which isn't helpful :(. Does anybody know of a good one which doesn't drip? Thank you.:wave:

We are new to the whole bunny experience so would like some advice on good water bottles available. I bought 2 standard ones from Wilkos but they just continually drip which isn't helpful :(. Does anybody know of a good one which doesn't drip? Thank you.:wave:

I think the hay experts do a bottle that doesn't rely on the ball inside (gravity fed) bottle. It's done a different way. They are around though :) Have a look on some pet savy websites. Zooplus may do it too. Or animal magic supplies?

Welcome!!:wave:

All bottles will leak a little but I find these are a lot better : http://www.petsathome.com/shop/small-animal-sippy-bottle-by-ferplast-33669
they tend to leak a bit for the first few days, then they are really good.

Of course you could eliminate the dripping completely by changing to water bowls instead. Its a more natural way to drink and given the choice rabbits will usually choose a bowl over a bottle. It's important to get heavy ones so they cant push them over, I think people generally use dog bowls.

As you're new, have a look in the care reference section :)
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=34

and of course if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask. You'll soon find that a lot of the information most pet shops give you is incomplete or just wrong. It can be a bit overwhelming at first but stick with it and you'll give your bunnies happy, healthy lives :)

I have found Tesco's cheapest Value bottles are the best I have found! Sounds mad doesn't it :lol: but honestly, I have 7 now, and none have leaked. They also have a good long spout.
They don't have a brand on, but look like this...

Islay & Jura's new hutch by Niseag, on Flickr

i find the ferplast ones leak and the only good ones ive tried and use now are the classic ones. never had a problem with them at all :wave:

I have found Tesco's cheapest Value bottles are the best I have found! Sounds mad doesn't it :lol: but honestly, I have 7 now, and none have leaked. They also have a good long spout.
They don't have a brand on, but look like this...

Islay & Jura's new hutch by Niseag, on Flickr

I AGREE DEFINITELY THE TESCO ONES ARE WICKED!!! Especially having that long spout oh and something i would not change for a million pounds now - BOTTLE SPRINGS!!!! Instead of those STOOPID wires - get some springs from Ebay, about a £1 each they are worth their weight in gold!!!!

I've bought all sorts of cheap ones. I find if you fill them right to the top and manipulate them to get all the air out so they are totally full they don't drip. :wave:

Of course you could eliminate the dripping completely by changing to water bowls instead. Its a more natural way to drink and given the choice rabbits will usually choose a bowl over a bottle.
my 2 now have a choice and will only use the bottles if the bowl is empty.
hope this helps

Bowls all the way for me too. I have the heavy ceramic type and I also have a stainless steel one that sits in a ring so it doesn't get knocked over (the ceramic ones haven't so far either)

I agree with bowls, much better. However as you definitely want a bottle I have found the best bottles to be the Ezi-Filla ones :thumb: They hold a litre, more than any other bottle I've seen, and have a valve rather than a ball so are quieter and don't drip (unless you have a rabbit like Mischa who drinks upside down).

put a bowl in hutch but Buttons just kept putting his whole body in it so ended up with a soggy bunny.:) Will try again but having filled bottle right up it seems to have helped with the dripping.

I would prefer bowls, I bought a ceramic one and Charlie just used it to sit in and as a litter tray :roll: I decided that him having a very wet bottom and then drinking where he has just weed and pooped wasn't the best thing, so they went back to bottles!

Back