• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit boarding or keep at home?

poely02

New Kit
Hi.

I have a little dwarf lop and am going away for 5 days at the end of the month. Billie and I share a one bedroom flat. She has full run of the flat and only uses her hutch for her litter tray and eating.

While I am away would it he beneficial for her to go to a boarding home where she is in a hutch all day or for her to stay at home and have someone come in once a day to make sure she has food and water and is ok?

She is usually home on her own for 10 hours a day anyway and entertains herself. I have left her for 2 nights on her own before and she was fine. Want to stress her the least I can.

Well it would stress her less to stay at home but if she went to boarding then she is with experienced people who will be able to check her and see if anything is wrong immediately. :)

Even 2 days is much to long to leave a bunny on its own without someone checking in on it :shock:

If you want to keep her comfortable, why not get a pet sitter to pop in and check on her rather than take her boarding. Or what about a family member or a reliable friend?

I've taken one of my buns boarding before and he was fine. He loved it! And was more behaved there than he is at home :lol:

I always take my two to a rabbit hotel. I know that they are safe then and I feel better being on holiday knowing someone has kept an eye on them. The lady I board them with lets them out in the run all day everyday and if she has house rabbits she lets them run around the kitchen or conservatory for exercise. I wouldn't feel safe leaving them alone for 5 days on their own.

I'd probably put her in a boarding facility, just because if she stopped eating or had an accident, the person checking on her may not know she required vet treatment.

Just for peace of mind really :)

I vote boarding because she'll get more supervision. Boarding her at a rescue would be ideal, as they are experts should anything happen.

If you go to a decent place she wont be stuck in a hutch all day. Some places do indoor boarding but others do heated hutches for indoor buns. All good places will have large hutches and either an attached run or lots of time in a run. Try and find somewhere with a 5ft hutch or bigger. Lots of people and rescues on here do boarding.

If you havent already she'll need to be vaccinated before going into boarding. No good place will take unvaccinated buns.

Back