• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Size cage for three male indoor rabbits?

MichelleGsPets

Alpha Buck
I'll be trying to bond my three boys into a trio, once they recover from thier neutering.

Currently Cooper is in a 2X7 NIC cage, with multiple ledges. Both Marley and Dexter are in two pet store cages.:eek:pps:

I'm redoing the cages completely as where cooper is now, 2 of my guinea pigs will be.

What size will be a good size for three small-medium male rabbits?

I'm thinking a 3'6'' X 5'10'' and then when I get money I can add an XL dog crate and I can make a shelf in that! (Xl dog crate is about 2'X3'

Big enough?

Indoors obv!

Umm, could the guineas go in the pet store cages, and you attach a dog crate to that, then you can attach the 3'6'' x 5'10'' to the 2'7? I don't know if this would work tho, as I don't know anything about guineas :oops:

No that wouldn't work. Guinea pigs need the space. Plus I don't have the space to expand that cage, only can build another the other side of the room!

Thanks though,
so do you not think it would be big enough? :/

I personally would want a trio to have more space than that. The RSPCA say the minimum for a pair of rabbits is 48sqft (I don't consider this to be enough if there is no opportunity for other exercise) so you would need bigger for a trio. I have seen a few foursomes fall out in rescue when in confined spaces of 10ft x10ft.

Rabbits need as much exercise as a small dog so instead of thinking about rabbits try to imagine how 3 Yorkshire Terriers would be given the amout of space and free range you plan to give. If you think they would be ok then go for it. I like to think about it this way as everyone knows dogs need space and exercise but the traditional opinion held by most people about rabbits is that they sit in a hutch all day gued to the same spot.

Why not make another NIC cage instead of messing about with dog crates and pens?

Not sure which measurements you were giving in terms of width or length, but taking up around the same amount of space as them joined together you could have:
each grid being 14 inches...

7/8 grids x 3 grids = 8ft 2 inches/9ft 4 inches x 3 ft 6 inches

This gives either:
8.16ft x 3.5ft = 28.56sqft
or
9.33ft x 3.5ft = 32.65sqft

then if you could add another half level all the way accross that would take you up to either 42.14sqft or 48.97sqft.

I know they are getting 5 hours out a day but this also means that they are getting 19 hours a day stuck in a cage. So its important to make it as large as possible.

Of course another option would be to have them free-range permenantly? They wouldnt need a cage at all, or only a small one, then.

I dont have many grids left over so I cant make another NIC cage.. The cage Im building for these guys will have two walls from NIC cage but the other two will just be my actual walls of the house. As I dont have many grids left. The reason i was getting the dog crate was to give them extra room too.

What about a 5'10X5'10? Then an XL dog crate added on to that along with a ledge in the dog crate and another ledge in another part of the cage attached to the wall.
How many squarefeet does that add up to?
Even though i knoow ledges dont count for sqfeet!

thanksfor all the help and info.

TBH, I really don't think that's big enough :? Do you have a spare room or something then they could have that. My 2 have about 15/6ft x 4ft and I couldn't put them in anything smaller than that now I know how much healthier and happier they are now :love:

If you get a 48inch (4ft) dog crate added onto the 5 foot 10 pen and they have access to the whole of it 24/7 it would be okay but not ideal, as that gives you around 8/9 foot long depending which way you put the crate and how wide it is. But the pen will be wider than the crate which will be awkward to set up.

But it just seems such an awful waste of space when they could have the entire room and then you wouldnt have a huge cage taking up all your space. Its really very easy to bunny-proof with NIC cubes and you'll need to do it anyway to have them out in the evenings.

Last edited:
Back