• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think our wildies may have survived.

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
I've been in search of new foraging areas in the next village today. Like all old villages it's criss crossed with paths & paths through neighbouring fields. I've been very heavy, as nearby fields are being converted into a massive estate of 4,500 houses, particularly because my friends -the wildies & roe deer are now homeless, as are some lovely (non edible) wild flowers.

Walking round a field I don't forage in but cross about every 2 months, I had a shock. The hedges had disappeared years ago taken over by bramble thicket on 2 sides, but the grass had virtually gone for about 10 yards alongside each hedge for it's full length.:shock::? All became clear when I saw rabbit tunnels into the brambles, signs of surface digging & 1 new burrow. Well there hadn't been any wildies there last Autumn or ever before. There was certainly a very good population now.

Not so strange you might think - but the wildies who disappeared would have had to cross the M4 to get there. :shock: (The roe deer know to cross by the main road bridge at night, but that would be too big a detour for bunnies)

The other thing which surprised me was the wildie territory marker. A massive long line of poop parallel to the hedges & about 2' wide. That hadn't been there long either.
Well I couldn't post without mentioning poops could I?
It was as if there had been a sudden mass migration of rabbits over winter. I hope my friends are among them & they're left in peace.:)

I've honestly only just realised how the bunnies made the crossing. There HAS to be piped drainage from 1 side of the M4 to the other.
They must have used a drainage pipe like a burrow when it was dry. :lol::lol::lol: Easy peasy for them! I'm so excited & happy to think there's a very real chance that they've made it.
They chosen a site reasonably safe from humans - right on the edge of the small village landfill site, & next to school playing fields.
I was also fascinated by how they had populated the whole length of 2 hedges like we'd build houses on a street, just over winter. It's a different lay out to all the other wildie warrens I know.

I can't wait for the long evenings & doing some bunny watching again.
(Yep I'm very careful with my shoes when I come home)

Back