• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Positive GA vibes for Teddi (Joey) .... U/D He's home!

honey61

Mama Doe
.... Poor Teddi has to have another dental tomorrow & this is his second GA in a month :cry:

He made a slow recovery after the last GA & suffered hypoxia with some temporary paralysis ... so as you can imagine we are anxious to say the least.

I tried to see if I could stay with him so that he wasn't frightened as he can't see or hear what is going on around him, but it isn't possible :cry:

He's only a baby & not had the best start in life ....

Teddi says please could he have some positive vibes for tomorrow :love:

DSCN5888.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Oh bless him. Sending lots of healing safe vibes xxx

Is it the picture or is his head slightly tilted to the side? If so I would ask your vet about possible EC/headtilt.

Oh bless him. Sending lots of healing safe vibes xxx

Is it the picture or is his head slightly tilted to the side? If so I would ask your vet about possible EC/headtilt.

Teddi has head tilt as a result of EC. His previous owners gave him up when he got sick.... so didn't get the treatment he needed straight away :cry:

I remember Teddi (formally known as Joey) from the rehome section :love:
I'm so glad he's found a lovely home and caring bunny mummy. Good luck with the GA tomorrow, I hope it goes ok!

Aw, good luck! Maybe send something with him that smells of you, so that he can feel safe and secure wherever he happens to be.

When my Tilly had a GA her tilt got so much worse when she recovered but she did bounce back, all be it a bit slower. I hope Teddi bounces back as well too.

Aw, good luck! Maybe send something with him that smells of you, so that he can feel safe and secure wherever he happens to be.

When my Tilly had a GA her tilt got so much worse when she recovered but she did bounce back, all be it a bit slower. I hope Teddi bounces back as well too.

I really hope so too. Blankey a la mummeh, bunny ted & packed lunch all ready :)
He has been very disoriented in the last few days bless him, so I am hoping that it is just his teeth that are bothering him. Nothing obvious was found during his examination..... & normally he is such a happy little soul, despite his problems.

Oh bless him. :love:Thank heavens he is with you now and getting all the right treatment. I agree GA can make the head tilt worse but in long run with the right treatment he can bounce back. My Darcy recovered with 3 months intense treatment.

:( Poor chap. Could it be his ear issues re-arising? Don't know why I'm saying that. That's only something to look at if the dental doesn't help him return to his normal chipper self.

He's so lucky to be in your home :)

:( Poor chap. Could it be his ear issues re-arising? Don't know why I'm saying that. That's only something to look at if the dental doesn't help him return to his normal chipper self.

He's so lucky to be in your home :)

Funny you should mention ears .... he has been extra sensitive with his ears too...... a lot of head shaking & scratching.... but we found nothing untoward. I thought perhaps this ear thing was connected to his molars..... will be keeping an eye on it after the op, but will also get them to double check whilst he is under.

Oh bless him. :love:Thank heavens he is with you now and getting all the right treatment. I agree GA can make the head tilt worse but in long run with the right treatment he can bounce back. My Darcy recovered with 3 months intense treatment.

Aw Thank you :D
As a precaution we started him on another course of Panacur when he came here... another week and a half to go.... so hopefully that will help with any additional problems after the GA tomorrow.... fingers crossed

That's interesting. What treatment did he have for his head tilt?

28 day panacur by the rescue & 2 week course of baytril.
He is just over halfway through another panacur to be on the safe side.
Hmmm... what are you thinking?

28 day panacur by the rescue & 2 week course of baytril.
He is just over halfway through another panacur to be on the safe side.
Hmmm... what are you thinking?

My suspicion would be that maybe he has an ear infection. Baytril, especially for only two weeks, would not do much of anything. Ear infections are not always obvious and can often only be identified via a swab (normally the 'down' ear).

This is Tilly's story and the blurb I posted before it on the post.

I've mentioned a few times on here about a guy who is on another forum who has extensively researched EC. This is the general gist of what he says.

EC does not directly cause head tilt. EC batters the immune system, which means the bunny can not fight off things like infections. Head tilt is generally caused by infection (but obviously there are other reasons too), and whilst that might be secondary to EC, it is not EC that causes the head tilt-it is an infection.

He also says that the Fenbendazole does not penetrate the blood brain barrier (those are the words he uses) and so can not iradicate the parasite EC in the brain, thus making it useless in active cases of EC. He has progressed onto using a different drug which is showing more promise, he says.

He also says to treat head tilt aggressively to avoid it progressing further into the ear and then into the brain. For that you will need more effective drugs than Baytril. Your bun will also probably need Metacam. Maybe read Angie65's thread on this page as to more things that are available.

A head can have a residual tilt (depending on the cause and the solution), but it should improve a great deal if its an infection, and is beaten. All rabbits differ with this.

This is Tilly's head tilt story. Not sure if it was be useful, or not, for you, but it may be.

Tilly was seized by the RSPCA officers from someone who was refusing to get her treatment. At that time she lived with a guinea.

When she arrived at the RSPCA they didn't know what to do for head tilt so Panacured her (funnily enough, to no effect). She had a 3-4 o'clock tilt, and arrived in August 2008. After she had been at the centre for two months (and tilted for a great deal more, but the amount is unknown) I fought to bring her home as a foster knowing that I would be willing to try different things with her and fight for her because I knew there was so much more.

The centre thought she needed someone who would mother her, and I sort of thought she needed someone who could stimulate her. I compromised and gave her both. I bought her home and bonded her with Summer (who would definitely stimulate her) and Roger (who is a mother hen), my other two fosters.

I took her to my vet along with a big blurb that Randy (ra7751) had written about head tilt. I wanted Zithromax for her but my vet had never heard of it, nor used it, but picked up on Convenia that Randy had written about and said he had it. I had never considered using it so had to make a spur of the moment decision based on my trust for Randy's info and also my vets ability to treat Tilly[highlight= rgb(255, 255, 136);] if anything went wrong. Thankfully I made the right decision.

The dosage that my vet used for Convenia was as it was labelled (I believe that's what he said). He said it's given to cats by their weight, and that is what he did for Tilly. We started off giving it every two weeks (which is how it is dosed in cats), but it became clear on day 2 it started to work, on day 9 it stopped working (it was easy to see because we were using it for head tilt so we could see the improvement in her head and alspo in how she behaved). We gradually cut down the time in between injections and found that once a week (every seven days) worked perfectly for her and she was kept on that for 2 months of weekly injections. It changed her life.

The hardest thing with Convenia is that because there is a long time inbetween injections if there are any side effects you have to ride the week out as best you can. The risks seem to mainly be gut issues (cecal dysbosis, chronic diarrhoea, etc) and there is not way to stop it once the drug has been injected. With Tilly, we saw no side effects at all. We did use Fibreplex during that time until we were sure that she was going to show no side effects. That is basically giving her additional fibre and can potentially be useful in some gut situations but not others (I personally don't think it should be used in a blockage situation, but in this situation I had no issue with it at all and would use it again).

When Tilly arrived she could go up onto things, but not get back down, when she looked down she would just roll, she didn't move her ears, she couldn't stand up on her back legs and periscope, she couldn't clean one back leg, she couldn't put her head straight and certainly couldn't tilt it over the other way. She had nystagmus (eye scanning) when we picked her up, she would sometimes roll and mostly ran round in circles.

Tilly was on Convenia for two months. Each week me and my vet discussed her improvement and then when we plateaued and saw no further improvement we gave her I think it was three further weeks on the Convenia to consolidate all that we had battled against.

During the time she improved we started to see things like she could clean both back feet, she started to turn and listen with both her ears, she didn't have nystagmus when she was picked up, her head straightened from roughly a 3-4 o'clock tilt to a 1 o'clock tilt to upright, she could just down from things, albeit a bit cautiously sometimes, we never saw another roll after treatment started, she ran faster, jumped higher and we even saw a half binky effort, which was so funny, she could run in straight lines and all sorts. She went from being a disabled buny to a regular bunny but with a funny head because she can now do everything that all other bunnies do.

Alongside all the treatment I gave her physio using pellets and pear (and later a wider variety of food when I was sure what she could tolerate) and also gave her daily or every other day neck massages, and she also liked a heat source to lay her neck on so sometimes I used those too.

A characteristic of Tilly that kept her fighting through it all was the fact she is so VERY stubborn, and boy does she know her mind. That shows now because sometimes she refuses to do something, or believes she can't, so just doesn't try, but now I know it's not due to her head tilt, it is due to her very stubborn nature.

This is Tilly as she is now, 8 months after finished her treatment. The video shows her periscoping (for food), also turning her head the other way (also for food), shows how she sleep, shows how she cleans herself properly, etc. She was very obliging

I can link you to the videos of her too, if you're interested. sorry for hi-jacking your thread. We can talk more via PM if you'd prefer not to do it on his wellwishing thread :)

Back