• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Reported my local pet shop to the council today THEY NO LONGER SELL PETS!!!!

Blackberry & Co

Wise Old Thumper
They had baby bunnies in (only about 5 or 6 weeks old by the look of it), they still had the mum in with them.

There was no sign to say that they were to young to sell, and no where for them to hide away - so as soon as I got home I emailed the local council with my concerns, and also the head office of the pet store (and suggested they look at the Make Mine Chocolate site :lol:)

The council replied to say they had sent out an inspector, a hiding place was going to be put in, and sign had to be put up to say they were too young to sell.

The pet store head office was a little more narky with their reply (I did say they looked like they were cashing in on the Easter bunny trade!) :lol: but said that they'd only come in the day before, and they hadn't been expected - but they have a store full of rabbit supplies and could surely have put a box or something in for them to hide in :?

I'll be going in tomorrow to check on them again.

Last edited:
Well done for getting something done about it. Good the council did something so quickly too. Poor bunnies. xx

Well done you!! :thumb:
Good to hear the council responded so quickly... makes a refreshing change!!
Hopefully theyw ill keep an eye on the petshop from now one .... well we can live in hope!

They had baby bunnies in (only about 5 or 6 weeks old by the look of it), they still had the mum in with them.

There was no sign to say that they were to young to sell, and no where for them to hide away - so as soon as I got home I emailed the local council with my concerns, and also the head office of the pet store (and suggested they look at the Make Mine Chocolate site :lol:)

The council replied to say they had sent out an inspector, a hiding place was going to be put in, and sign had to be put up to say they were too young to sell.

The pet store head office was a little more narky with their reply (I did say they looked like they were cashing in on the Easter bunny trade!) :lol: but said that they'd only come in the day before, and they hadn't been expected - but they have a store full of rabbit supplies and could surely have put a box or something in for them to hide in :?

I'll be going in tomorrow to check on them again.

They clearly need to read the shop's Pet Shop Licence Conditions. (The Conditions with which they agreed to comply in every respect in order to get the licence in the first place).

If the pet shop is in England then the Licence Conditions are likely to be based on the Model Form.

http://www.lga.gov.uk/lga/aio/5791388

Not selling animals at too young an age is one Condition and having a sign stating that they are "not for sale" is another Condition.

Another Condition requires the shop to have a member of staff who is familiar with rabbits' welfare requirements (and provides them).

The local Council for the pet shop will normally provide a copy of their Pet Shop Licence Conditions on request.

Saying of the rabbits, "..they'd only come in the day before, and they hadn't been expected" is a somewhat weak excuse. They are supposed to be a professional organisation that knows when their "stock" will be arriving.

Well done for standing up for the buns.:)

Went past this pet shop today, and they've been having a refit....AND THEY NO LONGER SELL ANIMALS :D:D:D

I'm sooo happy - now I can shop there again - I had been boycotting the place, but now they don't sell pets, and with the refit they have twice as much space for other per goodies :D

Went past this pet shop today, and they've been having a refit....AND THEY NO LONGER SELL ANIMALS :D:D:D

I'm sooo happy - now I can shop there again - I had been boycotting the place, but now they don't sell pets, and with the refit they have twice as much space for other per goodies :D

That's great! Maybe other people complained and the animals weren't making them as much as they'd hoped so decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

thats great, wish our council would do something, the number of times ive sent complaints it just goes unheard

That is brilliant news, please do inform them when you go in that the only reason you are now purchasing from the store is that they no longer sell livestock. Hopefully if enough people do this they will be less likely in the future to sell animals if they have a change of mind.

Back