• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do you worm your rabbits?

Do you worm your rabbits?

• Yes of course

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • No

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Didn't know you had to

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
I presume that those that worm use Panacur which you can buy over the counter at PAH and other places. If there is an alternative I'm sure someone will correct me.

I used to worm as a matter of course but then I found out it is only actually effective if given for days before infection. Since I am unlikely to know when their will be a problem I decided it was not worthwhile. There seems to be a lot of debate around whether or not to worm, probably comes down to individuals to decide.

This is interesting. I have just been on a rabbit course and they said that unless you are treating the rabbit, there is no need to. They said that a one off treatment of Lapizole for 28 days is fine and constant preventative treatment is not likely to benefit a rabbit. Also, there is a possibility that they can become immune to the active ingredient, which is being noticed in horses and wormers.
Also, it is very stressful for a rabbit to be medicated 3-4 times a year for days on end.
I have treated mine with Lapizole for 28 days as a one off treatment and am happy with that.
Just a thought, everyone has different opinions.

I had started to worm them (or really treat them against EC) as directed 2-4 :? times a year (okay, every 4 months to hedge my bets), but there is so much debate about how long for, if at all etc. On the advice of my vets I give nine days of Panacur to a new bunny joining us but no other courses of it. Apparently EC that isn't active is likely to become active if they are exposed to stress so to give a course of Panacur before a stress such as bonding would be my strategy from now on, until we are given clearer guidance on what to do, that is.

Not unless my vet suggests so. Too many differing opinions and i trust my vet with my buns lives, if he says "dont bother" i dont bother.

I gave all mine a one off course of 28 days and when any new bunnies are introduced but I don't do regular courses.

I don't worm my rabbits. Having read about it I decided against doing it.

If it was a one off dose like cats, dogs & horses I would do it, but I wouldn't want to put the girls under the stress of doing it for days on end.

Ditto. :thumb:

I wonder how you can tell if rabbits have worms though? Same way with a cat/dog?

Generally you can see them, or see evidence of them.

I only worm if I see evidence of internal parasites. I see no point doing it for 'EC'.

No.

I did tonnes of reading (various studies, articles and research) after seeing on here that you absolutely should definitely do a 28 day course of panacur 2-3 times a year for EC and, to a lesser degree, worms and overall I really didn't feel it was worth it.

Back