• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

strange rabbit behaviour

We have two rabbits brother and sister 4 months old. The male has been neutered 3 weeks ago so they were separated. We are trying to reintroduce them to each other but the female rabbit keeps mounting his head and pulling big chunks of his fur out, the males doesn't retaliate just tries to get away. Does anyone know if this is normal behaviour or is there something we can do?

Sounds like the female could be hormonal?
Its best to have two neutered/spayed bunnies before bonding so no hormones can get in the way :)

I would keep them separated another 3 weeks as males are fertile up to 6 weeks after the operation.

Sounds like the bond has broken a little, you may have to rebond them, but like I said, wait first. Can they see and smell each other but not get to each other where they are now, or did you completely separate them?

Might be best to get her neutered as well before rebonding.

I would suggest geting her spayed and then giving her recovery time and then rebonding from scratch.

As nessar says, they can be fertile for 6-8 weeks after a neuter so its very important to keep them separate anyway, at the moment.

The girl is most likely developing her hormones and that is why she is acting as she is.

I would keep them separated another 3 weeks as males are fertile up to 6 weeks after the operation.

Sounds like the bond has broken a little, you may have to rebond them, but like I said, wait first. Can they see and smell each other but not get to each other where they are now, or did you completely separate them?

Might be best to get her neutered as well before rebonding.

We have a 3 tier cage one is in bottom the other in the top. They are only together when i get them out of the cage each day as they didn't seem happy being apart and don't play when they are on their own. I am getting the female spayed but she isn't old enough yet. I didn't really want them fully apart another 2 month unless it will be best for them.

Rebonding...

Ive just had 7 young buns speyed/neutered... it takes 6-8 wks to clear of hormones. Ive managed to rebond 4 back to pairs.. But they were the quietest of the 7.. I have two females and a male left who are bossy types.. I have kept the male and female in ajoining pens and will rebond in a months time in a neutral area.. The strongest minded female is in another room as she even bites through the bars and rattles the run about.. I will be leaving her untill 10 weeks have passed so i know shes less hormonal... I find my does are as randy as the bucks, Lol!

Back