• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What can a bad molt cause?

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
Smoo has two little bits on her back where there is no fur and the skin is quite dry. I can't see any flea dirt and I've checked her all over for signs of mites. She was only treated quite recently anyway as for some reason Grim had fleas, although she never got them I treated them both fro everything and the hutch etc. Could this be caused by her molting? It doesn't seem to be too bad but what fur is coming out is coming out in clumps.

When my Bluey goes into a heavy moult he sometimes gets thin patches of hair, if you are certain it isn't mites then I would say yes it could be from him moulting.

I'm having the same problem. I'm not sure if the fur is being chewed off though. I'm going to take my two to the vet.

Over grooming is possible. Grim has no teeth so can't really do anything like that to her so she may just be doing it herself...
Obviously I'll take her to the vets if at all I think it's mites or she's getting distressed. It's just a bit weird and I worry.

Death :( When bunnies who are moulting in clumps groom themselves (or are groomed by their companion) the clumps can easily form matts which cause blockages. You need to do an extra lot of grooming to help prevent this. I learnt this the hard way several years ago :(

My Inca is going through a very harsh moult just now. Her fur can literally be plucked out with ease. Her hair coming out is leaving dry flaky skin, with white flakes, but then the new fur comes in within a day or so, she actually looks like a rex bunny just now at some places.

I am however treating her for mites too, just to be on the safe side.

My Inca is going through a very harsh moult just now. Her fur can literally be plucked out with ease. Her hair coming out is leaving dry flaky skin, with white flakes, but then the new fur comes in within a day or so, she actually looks like a rex bunny just now at some places.

I am however treating her for mites too, just to be on the safe side.

What are you treating her with?

Xeno 450 spot on.
I am treating both her and Herbie. I dont think they have mites, but better safe than sorry :)

That's what she had a little while ago. I do groom them both. I should be getting my new hutch very soon so what I'll probably do is if I'm not happy when it arrives see the vet and coincide any treatment with moving them to the new hutch and that way I don't have to worry about cleaning the old one.

I groom my guys during moult. It makes me wonder how wild bunnies cope:roll:

I have a wildie cross who moults very subtly - you can hardly tell so I guess wild rabbits moult more gradually and they also seem to have thinner coats. This makes sense as I guess they can't 'afford' to be under power while moulting heavily. Mine tend to lose a bit of weight when they moult so I over feed them a bit to compensate.

Back