• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Truth about Runs!

whitehood

Warren Veteran
I asked my dad to build a run.
He agreed.
I said well we don't need to let them free range any more. a run is enough.

He said well would you like it if you were trapped in your room, yeah you have space to stretch move and run just like a bun in a run but you wouldn't like to stay locked up in one room.

I always think of this :(::(:(
this has got me paranoid!

I have to agree with your dad, a run is not a substitute for free ranging (if it is possible of course!). Having seen my buns free range and binky round the garden I would find it very hard to take that away from them and confine them to a run.

well, think of it this way :)

Would you rather be locked in a small room all day (i.e. buns in a hutch), with no outside space, or be out in the open when you are really vulnerable (i.e. buns free ranging in the garden) (imagine your the only person out in the open with a bunch of dinosaurs or whatever! :lol::lol: (i.e. cats in the neighborhood!!) ), when you could have a little of each (run with their hidey box or whatever), you can be out and about, but still have shelter and protection? Ok i know it was a terrible example but i tried! :lol: You know its for their own safety that they have to be in a run, and i'm sure they're grateful to you for providing them this! :D My buns tend to run around the perimeter of the run, and they really don't seem to mind, and they get really excited when they know their going to play on the grass :lol:.

IMO I don't think it's fair to take free range away from them and then limit them to a much smaller space? I would never take Riley's free range away from him to put him in a run, why move him into something smaller, unless needed obviously?

Can I ask why you disagreed with him? Do you really think a run is enough?

Watching my two rogues bounding, binkying and leaping round the yard this evening I don't think a run is 'enough'. There are circumstances when people can't free range safely I know and then a run *has* to be 'enough' but if you can safely free range then I think you should! It's lovely to watch the buns' enjoying their free range. :love:

Runs are great for providing a safe place for rabbits to run about in when you're not there but supervised free range is the ideal form of exercise.

I agree with your dad. :)

Your dad sounds very wise to me :)

I think providing *both* is the ideal - runs for safe exercise for a large part of the day - and free range time when you're available to closely supervise, to make sure they're safe from predators.

I wish I could provide free range for my bunnies, but its just not safe. At all. What I'd like to do, when finances allow, is get a couple more puppy pen runs (I already have two) and make the biggest space I can so they can have more space to run than just in a standard run.

That said, my inside bunnies get a lot of space to run around, so they are fine :)

well, think of it this way :)

Would you rather be locked in a small room all day (i.e. buns in a hutch), with no outside space, or be out in the open when you are really vulnerable (i.e. buns free ranging in the garden) (imagine your the only person out in the open with a bunch of dinosaurs or whatever! :lol::lol: (i.e. cats in the neighborhood!!) ), when you could have a little of each (run with their hidey box or whatever), you can be out and about, but still have shelter and protection? Ok i know it was a terrible example but i tried! :lol: You know its for their own safety that they have to be in a run, and i'm sure they're grateful to you for providing them this! :D My buns tend to run around the perimeter of the run, and they really don't seem to mind, and they get really excited when they know their going to play on the grass :lol:.
I think that's a great example :D
I'd rather be safe and have less space than be at risk with lots of space.
Also, think about how your buns actually use their space - I know mine spend most of their time sitting together in the same two or three spots, just as in my house I spend the majority of time in my living room or the bedroom if I'm tired. When I go out I enjoy it, but mostly I'm happy with the same four walls.

I think even free range becomes a stale space if they have it all the time.
Our buns have an 8x8 run in which they can pick up a little speed in and binky, but we never seem to see them do that.
They have a similar space in front of the shed which they go in just for a few minutes each morning while I do their food and hay, and even though it's the same size they go mental, running and binkying when they go out there because it's a change from the norm.
They get equally exited when they free range, and calm down quickly. It's the excitement of a different place rather than the space they have imo.

I think to keep their space interesting for them you could have a rotation of toys/shelters/platforms and switch them once a week or so. Or, if possible, move the run around the garden so it actually is a different place.

I thought that if you have a large run they don't need to free range,
until my Dad told me that :\
So when he makes the run I'll let them free range everyday supervised :D

I wouldnt stress as much if my buns couldnt get out to free range due to weather etc if their run was large.

When I extend my run in a few months, ill still ensure that they get free range time at the weekends when I can supervise them. :)

my 2 have never had free range time :wave:

If you can still let them out when you are home then that would be great :D but a run is best for keeping them safe and still having exercise :wave:

Back