• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch Sizes??? Right or Wrong?

honeybunny

Wise Old Thumper
Just browsing another rescues website and found this

"RABBITS NEED A MEDIUM SIZED HUTCH. IT SHOULD NOT BE TOO LARGE AS THEY CANNOT KEEP WARM IN IT. "

and it seems they have taken advice on this:shock:

"PLEASE DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY BUYING 5FT/6FT HUTCHES FOR THEM TO LIVE IN AS OUR VET AT UPPER YORK STREET HAS SAID 1-2 RABBITS CAN NOT HEAT UP THAT AMOUNT OF SPACE."

I've never heard this before and wonder if anyone else has??

Ermmm I'd rather them be a bit nippy and cuddle up when they needed rather than be cramped up in a tiny hutch :shock:

:? My bunnies have whole run of the shed but they do like to huddle in the 3ft hutch in there. :roll: I think in a big hutch, they need a smallish (well big enough for all buns to get in) shelter in there so it's nice and cosy. :D

:shock: What a load of rubbish! Yes their sleeping area should be snug but they need plenty of space otherwise!

I have heard breeders say that you should not have large hutches.

My two will be in trouble then as they are going into a 6ft by 10ft kennel soon.

:shock::shock::shock:

I must plead guilty to a 5 feet hutch, but it does have two storeys. If he didn't have the underrun I wouldn't be at all happy at the lack of hopping space for Spenser.

my argument with this is even the 8 foot hutches have a smaller bed area which can be snug..putting a bun or pair in a 4 footer..as is suggested..is against the welfare bill recs:?

When my parents first got rabbits back in the mid eighties, this was the advice they found everywhere. I wonder if these people and the vet are 'stuck in the past'.

Whenever I've got newer hutches, or attached runs, or got enclosures mum brings this up all the time. It was common advice back then.

:shock: What a load of rubbish! Yes their sleeping area should be snug but they need plenty of space otherwise!

Agreed!!

They arent going to heat up the whole hutch.. whatever the size! Like we dont heat up our whole house or room if we dont have heating?!? :?
They cuddle up and heat themselves and the bedding around them, most hutches have a bed area which is perfect to snuggle and keep warm in, no matter the size of the rest of the hutch.

They need to have room to hop around and stretch their legs when they havent got acess to a run.

:shock: I've heard of 'some' breeders say about small hutches being better, especially for nethies because they panic in a large hutch. :roll: But never what you just told us.

:shock: Surely in summer they will need a big space to hop around and not get overheated? I think as long as they have plenty of hay and somewhere they can snuggle up the big hutch is always the best option :)

How on earth would they heat any size hutch when hutches are mesh fronted? That's why they have smaller enclosed bedroom sections.
Such bizarre logic :?

I think I would send them some information on rabbit welfare including minimum hutch and run sizes and hope that they realise they're in the wrong.
It's particularly bad when places like rescues, which are supposed to stand for rabbit welfare, put out information like this because people really trust what they're saying.

Agreed!!

They arent going to heat up the whole hutch.. whatever the size! They need to have room to hop around and stretch their legs when they havent got acess to a run.

Quite! I'd rather they had space and use lots of bedding and snugglesafes t help with keeping warm.

I'd recently been browsing and came accross the same website and wondered if the vet's know they're being quoted in this way?

What an odd thing for someone to say :?

I can think of plenty of ways to keep outdoor rabbits warm, none of them involve needing a smaller hutch

Back