• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

need help for assingment. (housing related) really important.

shadow05

Mama Doe
hi :wave: im doing another assingment on a rabbit and i just wanted to make sure i got the size of wat a cage should be. does anybody know wat the guidelines for how big a rabbit housing is suppose to be?

thank you

The minimum size of a hutch is 6x2x2 ft.
The bigger the better :]
I think the minimum size of a cage would also be 6x2x2 ft.

Its not really hard to find, so I'm not sure exactly why i'm doing your homework for you.

but here http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm it says

The RWAF recommends a minimum hutch size of 6' x 2' x 2', which allows rabbits some room to move, stand on their hind legs and enough space for the food, toilet and sleeping areas to be kept apart. It is commonly accepted that a rabbit should have space for 3 hops, but it is commonly underestimated just how far 3 hops is - our tests show that 3 hops from an average sized rabbit covers 6-7 feet!

A hutch should only be a shelter and not the only living space. It should be attached to a secure run of at least 8' x 4'.

Back