• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spay

LauryStevens

Mama Doe
Blossom is due for her spay on Tuesday, I'm very excited! Hopefully get her litter trained afterwards now ;) the little minx is messy! I've planned her recovery, Thumper will go with her while she's at the vets, then they'll come home but stay in my room to recover for 5 or so days (they're outdoor buns) so I'll put them back out when the weather is being fair. I've got a vet bed (original) for laying on, a fleecey blanket on the rest of my floor for grip as my floor is laminated. Toy wise I'll have willow objects as they love them horrendously. Is there anything else I should prepare for? I'll be asking about pain releif for after her opperation, what should I ask for specifically? Ta!

Yes definately get her some metacam for the next day when the initial 24 hour injection wears off, mash it into some banana on a saucer and let her lick it off, I'd get some flat leaf parsley and dill and feed wet aswell, make sure you send her in on a good breakfast and with lunch box of her favourite things to help them get her eating.

Lots of water bowls, nothing she can jump up on or off for 24 hours and she will need rest rest rest so if he bothers her in anyway you'll have to house him side by side for 24-48 hours as he could hurt her.

Lots of hay in a basket and rack above some puppy pads or thick newspaper to toilet on just for 48 hours in case the hay or megazorb/litter/shavings gets in the wound you can't use litter ideally and you don't want her jumping in and out of a tray anyway for 24 hours.

Best of luck, she will most likely drink, hopefully scoff some wet herbs and flake out - she will be shattered.

Metacam is now on my list :) how many days worth of it do I need, I've never seen or used it so am new to medication. She won't eat fruit/veg :( She nibbled a tiny bit of strawberry today but she does go apsolutly bonkers for her pellets and herbs!

I give at least 5 days of Metacam to girls, but that's just what I personally do.

I have an article about pre, during and post spay on my website (under 'Rabbit Info Articles') which may be of use to you.

I'm not disagreeing with Sky-O but, I have only needed to give 2 doses after a spay, so the following morning after surgery and the next day after that :)

Re the metacam, try letting her lick the syringe as some buns do like it, if not try squirting it onto basil leaves or dill and get it into her that way, it's not great to have to syringe her, she will be very sore.

Last edited:
I'm not disagreeing with Sky-O but, I have only needed to give 2 doses after a spay, so the following morning after surgery and the next day after that :)

Re the metacam, try letting her lick the syringe as some buns do like it, if not try squirting it onto basil leaves or dill and get it into her that way, it's not great to have to syringe her, she will be very sore.

Everyone has different things they prefer to do :) Hearing a variety is important when it comes to making an informed decision.

Personally, I am very free with my Metacam use because of how easily bunnies hide pain. Luckily, I met with with a like minded vet who also agrees that giving buns Metacam at any sign of a problem should be done. So I'm just over cautious :) I'd rather be that way than risk leaving them in pain, that's all.

Everyone has different things they prefer to do :) Hearing a variety is important when it comes to making an informed decision.

Personally, I am very free with my Metacam use because of how easily bunnies hide pain. Luckily, I met with with a like minded vet who also agrees that giving buns Metacam at any sign of a problem should be done. So I'm just over cautious :) I'd rather be that way than risk leaving them in pain, that's all.

Cool, my vets are the other way, because rabbits are so small and their digestive systems so delicate, they prefer to limit medications as much as possible, I was advised that if after two days there were any signs of pain that I could continue with it but, I found they were fine with that.

My vets are also very strict with metacam administration even with experienced rabbit owners because they prefer to examine the rabbit before medication of any kind is administered :wave:

Cheers for both your imputs. I feel a lot more knowledgable about it all and can plan out better what I will ask and do. So thank you! :D Blossom will say thankyou after her surgery ;)

Cheers for both your imputs. I feel a lot more knowledgable about it all and can plan out better what I will ask and do. So thank you! :D Blossom will say thankyou after her surgery ;)

Best of luck and don't forget to stock up on her favourite things, lots of gentle strokes and reassurance but, give her lots of rest time aswell, fingers crossed for a smooth op and recovery :wave:

Back