• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Frenchie mommies

Tell me about your frenchies:

• Frenchies are grumpy don't like too much fuss

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Frenchies love fuss and only grumpy if you get in the way of their foodies

Votes: 11 73.3%

• Total voters

BinkyBun

Wise Old Thumper
Okay I've noticed on a few threads (and in needs) that its been said that frenchies are typically "grumpy" and "hate being handled". I don't beliece this is true as my frenchie is the opposite. So please tell me about your frenchie....

I do agree that if you get inbetween a frenchie and his/her food or treats then they will be grumpy!!:lol: But I don't believe my Darcy is a grumpy bun and he LOVES fuss and cuddles...

My Tuppence is the most adorable cuddle bun ever.
The minute she sees you, she comes over for a fuss, and wont move until my arm goes dead :lol:
I haven't experienced any grumpy moods yet! but then ive only had her a week. Perhaps she's breaking me in gently :lol:

I believe all buns have different personalities,
Charlie my first ever bun who was a lop loved interacting with people but hated being picked up.
Jack is tooo nervous .. And shy. He also hates being picked up.
Lucky is exacly like Charlie .. loves attention but hates being picked up.
But yea like you said there must be loads of lops who love being picked up.
Its probably because of their size they are large buns :p
P.s Lop Daddy :D And GrahamL is also the first male bun owner on Ru I know :p

Last edited:
I'm not in a position to vote (Spenser is a lionhead crossed with goodness knows what), but I'd heard the opposite of Frenchies, and thought that these laregr buns tended to be more accepting of human fuss than some of the smaller breeds.

i think i should have a herd/tribe/clan/pack (?? what's a group of rabbits called?:?) of frenchies just to carry out my own observations:D

My Eli absolutely hates being picked up. He's ripped through several of my tee shirts over time and gave me a cut right across my face when the two of us were trying to catch him.
Even once you've got him he won't stop struggling until you either lose your grip or put him down and his feet are so strong it's usually not long.
He is quite a grumpy bun and if I displease him he'll flick his feet at me (this happens often).

He is, however, the most people-friendly of my three buns; he'll always come over for attention and is so interested in everything I'm doing. He's much quicker to forgive me after things like picking up or vets visits than the other two (lola still hasn't quite forgiven me for her VHD nearly 6 months ago).
He'll also settle on the sofa with you and refuse to be moved whereas the other two are always looking for where they can run to, what spaces they can get in to, etc.

I think some of his hatred of being handled is because he came from a breeder who kept him in a small indoor cage (outside, with another frenchie :roll:) and lifted him through a small top opening by his scruff whenever she got him out.

Berties a right softie...but renowned for his snoozles:oops: ...and that was when he was 2...now hes 7....lol

he didnt like to be puicked up but we slung him over our shoulders like a human baby..and he used to panic a bit then snuggle into nikkis neck and wash her..hed puff puff puff and then decide whether or not he was int he mood..too bad it was the only way to get him i and out the house after his eye ulcer scarred one eye..hes REW too...

however..when we had the settee and the armchairs..hed have his doggy steps up against one end of the settee so he could get up with nikki anytime he wanted cuddles.

these days he feel safer on the gorund..but im going to wash the stairs fabric cover tomorrow and see if hell use them up to the bed settee. he usually settles for a cuddle..hugged tight like a teddy bear..and kissed all over his face and ears and under his ears and he purrs like mad.
other times i have to get down on the lfoor with him as nikki cant anymore..and hug him..give nosey rubs and cheecky rubs and stroke him till he nods off..or needs a wee or something to eat:lol:

willow was adorable....and only got ansy when shed had enoug of bif beating her up..bif was my wee girlie..bout the size of a mini lop/small dwarfie:oops:

willows nickname was willow pillow as id lay on the bare floor cos id hurt my back...and shed sleep with her tummy at the top of my head...one evening i fell asleep like this and woke up in her tummy fur...my pillow:lol:

she never once bit anyone...buns exceptions:oops:......and would sneak up on my elderly mum on the armchair space behind her and sniff out a banana mum had bought over...she loved scaring my mum by putting her face in mums:lol: she never nipped either...and would climb like a goat and loved being groomed and stroked.

bertiesnot been the same since she died to be honest....and hes been through a lot since...but he remains my cuddle monster.

bluebells a frenchie with attitude but small shows of affection are appearin g now.

her sister dazy-mae was a darling..shed ask to be picked up and then would snugle in for a cuddle like a human baby..she was so sweet but hated the cats and merlin..whereas bluebell liked the cats and merlin but didnt like people much.
now bluebell hates the cats..i chased the kitens when they sneaked in to use the buns tray many times....and shes not stopped chasing them since:lol:

all buns are moody and grumpy if they want to sleep or their food is threatened or you move something round or dont say or do the right thing...

the only thing with frenhcies..well the four ive had..is that they like to sleep..omg at a year old i was having to lift willows ear off the floor where she lay on her side snoozng and hoover then steam clean under it:shock: she didnt wake up for an hour afterwards!!

frenchies as they get nearer to one...get too fond of sleeping..like having cats....and they do not like to be disturbed:lol::lol: being bigger things they do is more obvious....tantrums....etc.

ive only ever had one frenchie boy though..my darling big boy bertie....hes my smoosh...bless him.

be prepared for your world to be invaded by a bunny who oculd reach things to wreck that little bunnys could only dream about:lol:

it depedns on the handling..bertie was handled from birth..and was a show bun then after a rival bit his bits..became a pet.....and until his owner couldnt spend the time with him she needed too as she worked...her hunny worked...she spent the time with her two small kids and al the other buns to make sure they got exercised etc...and she felt he was missing out as he was so cuddly.
i borrowed him to save my bif after she lost oscar a few days before. i ended up keeping him and the lady still misses him beating up next doors cat becasue it beat up his cat..and wrecking the garden with their staffie boxer cross dog..rosie.....his bestest mate.

It all depends on the bunny......the drawback with the does is..if they dont get enough handling/interaction...by the time theyre about 7 or 8 months old..theyre not keen to change.

but its only my experiences.....everyone and everybun is different:love:

The poll has ended so I can't vote on that, but my frenchie, BB, looks like a grumpy bum, but she is one of the sweetest rabbits:love:

The poll has ended so I can't vote on that, but my frenchie, BB, looks like a grumpy bum, but she is one of the sweetest rabbits:love:

Aww I'm sure thats what happens as they get older as sometimes Darcy looks grouchy but then he is all soppy. :love:

Lady Penelope will not be picked up and will scratch, bite and leap out of my arms. I think it's just her size and being up in the air that she doesn't like... she is also the naughtiest animal I have ever known of...

She's not afraid of anything - dogs, cats you name it. She will scale any height to get to food. She'll jump 6ft from the third storey of my three-tier hutch in my shed to get to a Science Selective pellet on the floor quicker than it would take her to go down the ramps and come out on the bottom tier.

She constantly looks grumpy (like I think most frenchies do) but I think that's because of the way their eyes are slanted. I just think it's really cute!

Lady Penelope will not be picked up and will scratch, bite and leap out of my arms. I think it's just her size and being up in the air that she doesn't like... she is also the naughtiest animal I have ever known of...

She's not afraid of anything - dogs, cats you name it. She will scale any height to get to food. She'll jump 6ft from the third storey of my three-tier hutch in my shed to get to a Science Selective pellet on the floor quicker than it would take her to go down the ramps and come out on the bottom tier.

She constantly looks grumpy (like I think most frenchies do) but I think that's because of the way their eyes are slanted. I just think it's really cute!

Wow she sounds like a fabulous bunny character!!:love:

Back