• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you teach a bunny to go downstairs?

Bitzy

Mama Doe
Would I be best trying to teach them to go up first??

They've been to the top of the landing and had a nosey over the edge .....but they weren't having any of it .... had a nose then went tootling off again! :?

We taught Oscar up first by putting a treat on each step, only had to do this twice and now we can't get him to come down half the time :lol:

Maybe try treats on each step coming down?

Oh see now I never thought of using bribary! :lol:

Will get straight on it when I get home!! :lol:

If they can't get a grip of it I may just have to man-handle them (gently) downstairs and try to teach them 'up' first!

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks x

Ours seemed to always know how by themselves, but they hardly ever bother - I don't think they like it. They're very small - not sure if that makes it harder for them.

Muesli has surprised us a few times in going a couple of steps down but I am so scared of them slipping and falling that I dont let him near the stop of the stairs now - sometimes he is so fast and just dashes off :shock:

Only a few of our house bunnies have ever mastered the stairs - just those who are really curious and like to explore. Let them figure it out themselves - they will or they won't!

We use the stairs as part of Ginger's physio (although she does it herself now :love:)

Food is definately the way to learn. Parsley every other step was our method, it took many weeks, but i expect a healthy bun would pick it up a lot quicker. Coming down takes much less energy than going up.

:wave:

Thanks everyone, I put some treats on the stairs last night and sat a few steps down from the top, Dizzi came down 2 steps, sat facing the wall for a while then went back up whilst Rascal just sat at the top watching!

Will try again and just see how they do, if they don't like it I won't keep trying but I reckon if Dizzi carries on as she did last night that Rascal will follow her!

They might decide its easier to be picked up and taken down in the long run! :lol:

Back