• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aviary Location

Joh619

Alpha Buck
I'm (still) trying to persuade my OH to let me have an aviary when moving the buns back outside. THe best place I can think of putting it is in the corner of the garden, which would be next to the fence for 2 other gardens. The fence is quite high and is raised on 1 side so should be OK there. But the other side is a bit lower so the aviary would be seen over the top of the fence.

Has anyone else had any problems with putting an aviary near a fence. I know there are laws, but I think that's just about permanent structures?

Thanks,

Assuming it's in your back garden and you don't have any special restrictions on yours or your neighbours buildings then you won't have any planning problems for a 6ft tall aviary. It's probably polite to let your neighbours know before you put it up though.

The main issue with aviaries is that the total area of all 'extra' buildings in your garden (sheds + greenhouses + extensions + aviaries + conservatories) must not take up more than 50% of the original size of your garden (excluding any extensions).

Hmmm I didn't know that about not taking up more than 50%. We've got a double garage, shed and conservatory already. I dunno if the garage was built on garden or drive though because it was there when we bought the house. The garden is still pretty big though.

Will have a think about it, thanks :)

If you want to check the original layout of your house you may be able to find it on www.old-maps.co.uk If your house is really old then the original layout is considered to be how big it was in 1947ish

Back