• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wildies - urgent - U/D pg4

x-vic-x

Mama Doe
Hi

If anyone has any experience of baby wildies 2-3 weeks old can you please get in touch ASAP please!!

I need help :(

Last edited:
I have 2 baby wildies 2-3 weeks old (I think!!), their eyes are open and they are moving around.

I've had them out of the rubbish bin :(:(

I have no idea what to do!!

What do I feed them? how often? etc.

but also and I hate to type this but is it fair to try and hand feed them.

The bin? :shock:

Are they definitely not of weaning age? (I'm just wondering how they got into the bin if they are still in the nest)?

If you're sure that they are no more than 2-3 weeks old, you could try hand feeding them. Full fat goats milk with probiotics added is probably the best option at that age.

You can either use a 1ml syinge for feeding (preferably with a CATAC ST1 teat on the end) or a small feeding set for young kittens/pups.

Warm the goats milk by placing some into a china cup and standing it in hot water.

Make sure everything is sterilized between each feed, and throw away any unused milk (do NOT reheat milk).

Last edited:
Ring your vets I'm sure they will advise or even donate some syringes.

Good luck.

They're at the age when they'll start to eat solids. The type of solids you need to give them will depend on whether they are going to be released into the wild.

If they're going to be released into the wild, feed them on hay, grass and weeds...this can be a bit risky given that handreared babies tums are delicate, but you don't really have much option but to take the risk.

If they aren't going to be released into the wild, feed them hay and junior pellets until they are past the 'at risk' period and their tummies start to mature.

Thank you, it's a long story but basically I was on holiday and there is a new caravan going on the plot next to us, they dug out the pad to concrete to put it on and dug up the nest. They threw the bunnies in the bin with the rest of the rubbish :(:(:(. We went searching for them when they told us :(

I really don't have much idea how old they could be I'm just going on what my foster bunnies looked like.

As for what to do with them, ie realeasing them or not, I haven't even thought about it.

Thank you, yep it's a long story but basically I was on holiday and there is a new caravan going on the plot next to us, they dug out the pad to concrete to put it on and dug up the nest. They threw the bunnies in the bin with the rest of the rubbish :(:(:(. We went searching for them when they told us :(

I really don't have much idea how old they could be I'm just going on what my foster bunnies looked like.

As for what to do with them, ie realeasing them or not, I haven't even thought about it.

Thats awful! So glad you found them

Beth at Brinsley Rescue (Brinsley Bunnies on here) is an expert on handrearing wildlife. You could try giving her a call to see what she thinks, she might even be able to 'age' them from a photo :wave:

:shock: How heartless of the people doing the work to just chuck them in a bin with the rubbish. Im glad you were there to try and save them. Seriously did they not even consider calling a local wildlife rescue when they dug them up? :cry:

Does anyone know any reputable wildlife rescues that could take the bunnies and rehabilite them and release them again?

Thank you, it's a long story but basically I was on holiday and there is a new caravan going on the plot next to us, they dug out the pad to concrete to put it on and dug up the nest. They threw the bunnies in the bin with the rest of the rubbish :(:(:(. We went searching for them when they told us :(

:cry: omg how heartless, soo glad you rescued them, hope they will be ok

If their eyes are open, they are moving about and they have that fluffy baby look then they should be old enough for solids. I would feed grass, as they'll be used to it and its easy to get hold of. Also water just to make sure they are hydrated. If you can get them to a wildlife rescue they'd be able to be released in a couple of weeks as they aren't far off independant.

Back