• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buns with iron stomachs!

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
I am SO lucky - when I look at threads about buns who can only have a single leaf a day or cannot eat specific herbs etc due to having delicate tums I realise how lucky I am with my lot.

They eat positively mountains (a wheelbarrow load each day between the 22) of blackberry shoots, willow branches, grass, dandelions, dead nettles, milk thistle, flat leaf parsley, spring greens, strawberry plants, geranium, apple, and nearly every and any weed or crop that will grow on the allotments and common (obviously I know which are actually toxic and do not give them those).

They never bat an eyelid or have a single tum problem when they get 3 months of non stop brambles in the winter months followed by a month of mountains of dandelion at this time of year and then gaily on to willow leaves next . .

I simply couldn't afford to feed them all on bought greens!!!:shock::shock:

:wave: me too. I almost feel guilty.
My 2 are outside buns and I really do believe they are tougher for it. They eat anything and everything and I am very thankful for their hardy digestive systems. they are actually going ona bit of a diet, having wintered particularly well despite the temp regulalry being about -12 here when the snow was down.
I'm just seeing new growth of wild stuff so we'll be back onto that as well as the dried stuff, and the bought veg and then I can get them swapped over onto the freebie stuff for the next 6-7 months.
Hurray for tough bunny tummies :love::love::love:

:)

my franc is an outdoor bun ...and eats everything and anything ...including what he shouldnt :roll::roll: :lol:...but never had a a tummy problem ..ever *touch wood*

In fact most of my own present buns are the same tbh .. :)

I have four indoor buns, and other than Tibbsy's bladder issues, they are all just about bulletproof.
They did the 600mile journey from Scotland in one day and though they were a bit quiet after - they never stopped eating!

I've never seen an uneated Caec either - and they're all on Junior/Dwarf Excel.

Superbuns!

At the risk of tempting fate, my lot seem pretty bomb-proof in the digestive stakes too.

maybe there are more tough buns than we think - I suppose people don't usually post about healthy buns do they? so we don't get to hear about them.

touching lots of wooden stuff that long may tough bunny tummies continue to digest anything and everything :D

Even though I have one very delicate bunny who can only eat hay due to her poorly tummy and is a statis bunny, my other three have bomb proof tummies.. so I am thankful for that!

I am in the process of working out if it id=s me that causes mine to go into stasis:shock:

If you are so precise with what you feed them the gut flora becomes very limited(?) to exactly the right quantities of food. If you increase to "mountains" of fresh food stuff, the flora are more varied and multiple(?)

It's just that Tulip is poorly and she gets huge amounts of fresh, not monitored at all, plus she gets tones of pellets, no probs. Feegal, Sally and Tiesto I monitor their food carefully. All of them get gut slow down (always give Metacam, tummy rubs Fiberplex etc) at least every six months:?

Grim has a horrendous diet. He has so many health problems but so far I have never had to worry about him eating. As long as it's soggy pellets, oats or bread. :shock:

I thought some things upset his stomach but have since found out they haven't, like raisins. he has a lot of excess cecals as he lives off excel junior and dwarf pretty much and sometimes they get stuck to his bum as he has no teeth to get them off. But he's doing good overall. Even with horrendous abscesses he still got excited for soggy bread and lived off that for a week.

my franc is an outdoor bun ...and eats everything and anything ...including what he shouldnt ...but never had a a tummy problem ..ever *touch wood*

This is exactly like my male bun Rodge, he eats anything! I caught him eating the bird seed that had fallen off the bird table on Sunday! :shock:

I'm lucky too, all 8 and a half of mine are bomb proof :D

I say 8 and half 'cos Harley has other issues that sometimes relate to her having bad food days :cry:

Clo is my dodgy tummy bunny - I'm keeping my fingers crossed cos I tried a few strands of a new type of hay today.

Dan and Butters can eat anything, but Clo is the one who loves food the most, so it's such a shame he can't eat what he wants all of the time :(

I have to disagree with you about being lucky. Your buns have lots of space to exercise and keep their guts moving, a pretty natural diet and are looked after very well.

Obviously there are exceptions but I think most buns are pretty bomb proof if diet and exercise are adequate.

Bunsk has eaten EVERYTHING I swear, crisps, pizza, gravy covered peas (cooked), chocolate, biscuits, toast, jeans, paper....

Yet the only thing that gave him dodgy poops seemed to be one certain type of rabbit treat in a large quantity! :lol:

I have to disagree with you about being lucky. Your buns have lots of space to exercise and keep their guts moving, a pretty natural diet and are looked after very well.

Obviously there are exceptions but I think most buns are pretty bomb proof if diet and exercise are adequate.

Mine have lots of space to exercise, no treats apart from fenugreek crunchies (which are limited) and a natural diet - Clover can get belly ache from plantain and grass :roll:

Mmmm - I am not sure - I really do think that genetics plays a large role - and what they were exposed to in the first months of life as they are developing their guts and basic gut flora. Mine are almost all rescue and didn't come to me until they were adults, so its really been 'potluck' that they are all so robust!

I agree that genetics and previous diet does play a part as I've had a bun that had been fed rubbish and I had to be careful with her but I do think that space and a natural diet helps. I wasn't trying to suggest RU buns are not getting what they need, I meant in general as there's nothing really you can do to fix a bun with poor genetics or a bad start, you can just help prevent the symptoms.

Back