• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is There An Upper Age Limit For Speying??

suzibunbun

Mama Doe
Last weekend I 'snatched' and rescued 2 girlies (long story), 6 years old and not speyed, 1 is severely disabled in all her legs but is a happy little soul (now) is there an age or in this case a condition when speying is not appropriate??

I don't think I'd advise spaying a disabled bun, but the other girl should be fine to be spayed at 6 years old.

Your vet will be able to do pre-surgery blood tests to cheack that her health is good enough to undergo the procedure

I have had several 6+ year old Does spayed. However, each case needs to be assessed individually. A spay may not be appropriate for a profoundly disabled 6 year old Doe.

Pre surgery blood tests to check major organ function is usually a good idea for older Buns.

Having lost 2 young disabled male rabbits during routine castration, we no longer neuter disabled rabbits unless we really have to. I always think if there are deformities on the outside who knows whats going on on the inside. But I would have no problem with neutering a healthy 6 year old female :)

possibly a daft question (though i could look it up) is there an age when does stop getting pregnant?? Is she too old at 6 - obviously I would keep her safe anyway.

She can get pregnant at any age, but the risks at 6 for her first litter would be astronomical. The greater risk to her would be the hormonal cancers.

Oh dear - so at 6 years of age with a severe disability in all 4 limbs - which risk is greater - cancer or death by spaying? I'm sure it would be wiser to leave the little girl well alone after years of being neglected now that she is happy and well fed and looked after, do you all agree???

I would discuss it with your vet, however, without assessing her, I would say the risk fo the GA, so I completely agree. I have a girlie who we have decided the risk of spaying is too great, so she remains 'intact'.

Give her the happiness and love she deserves :)

I would take vet advice regarding the disabled bunny. However for a normal healthy bunny a spay at 6yrs should be fine with an experienced vet.

My vet spayed my bunny Sooty when she was 9yrs old with no problems but do find an experienced vet.

sue:wave:

Back