• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

No further treatment for Widget & Sprocket for at least a month

Kittykat23uk

Mama Doe
Sprocket and Widget's test results are still not back yet but Widget seems worse today with her snuffles (and Sprocket is still not right either) so we are taking her back to the vets tonight. Please can we have some vibes for her and her husbun?

Thank you,

Jo x

Last edited:
I swear this bun is psycic!!!

Well, after seeing her laboured breathing which sounded quite "wet" this morning and snot round her nose, she's made a U-turn and as we carted her off to the vet you would think she were the picture of health!! :roll: Stephan confirmed her lungs are still clear and so it is still "just" an URTI.

We have also got a partial result back from the lab. Widget's aerobic tests are so far negative. Sprocket's however, tested positive for Pseudomonas. They are continuing to culture the samples anaerobically to see what else grows. They are not being treated until we know for sure what the rest of the results say. The strain is resistant to a lot of antibiotics though. Stephan is going to discuss whether an intensive course of treatment will be warranted or whether to see how they get on over the next few weeks, once we know what the results of the rest of the tests are.

Thanks for your support!

Jo, Ian and bunnies.

Well, after seeing her laboured breathing which sounded quite "wet" this morning and snot round her nose, she's made a U-turn and as we carted her off to the vet you would think she were the picture of health!! :roll: Stephan confirmed her lungs are still clear and so it is still "just" an URTI.

We have also got a partial result back from the lab. Widget's aerobic tests are so far negative. Sprocket's however, tested positive for Pseudomonas. They are continuing to culture the samples anaerobically to see what else grows. They are not being treated until we know for sure what the rest of the results say. The strain is resistant to a lot of antibiotics though. Stephan is going to discuss whether an intensive course of treatment will be warranted or whether to see how they get on over the next few weeks, once we know what the results of the rest of the tests are.

Thanks for your support!

Jo, Ian and bunnies.

Aren't bunnies so awkward! I'm glad she is feeling better though :)

So am I! :D I have to be in London the next two days so didn't really want to leave with an ill bun. But it's amazing how she can look so rough one minute and then by the evening look so "normal". :roll:

Update

Just had the vet on the phone. The lab wasn't able to culture anything else from the swabs for Widget or Sprocket so the only positive test they have is for the Pseudomonas for Sprocket. Nothing for Widget. The lab has advised to treat with septrin for 2 weeks and only Sprocket. But I think Widget shoud be done as well since she seems equally as bad as him at the moment. He said only treat her if there is discharge, I just checked her and there is a tiny bit of snot so I tried to call them back but they are closed now. So I'll call them again in the morning and ask them to write up a prescription for both of them (if they will!!). So it seems to ba a bit of a mystery what exactly is wrong with them!

Still snuffly after 3 weeks on Septrin

:? Well, now Sprocket and Wdget have both been on Septrin, Sprocks had a 2 week course Widget has been on for three. They have enjoyed taking septrin, but are still a bit snuffly. It is the same low level snufflyness that they've had for months, it's not really affectingtheir day to day life, is not getting any worse, but is not really shifting totally either.

Sprocket has a damp nose and sneezes from time to time, his paws show some dirt but I never see much snot as such, just a wetness when he's snuffling for treats etc.

Widget on the other had has occasional clear but heavy snot from mainly her right side (stringy bogey snot). She is particularly bad when I move her onto grass for the first couple of mins, before it seems to settle back down again.

We have a vets appointment booked for Saturday to review their case. I suspect we'll be advised not to treat them further. I'd appreciate your advice.

Thanks,

Jo

Hi Jo, wishing you good luck for Saturday that Stephan can suggest something useful!! I know I can't be of any help but would be interested what happens next. Sending vibes for the two! :)

Just a thought... I can't remember if you said he had or not but has he or you spoken to Louise at All Creatures? Apparently she is really knowledgable about bunnies so it might be worth finding more out about her?? I have never seen her myself, but I know my little one was goingt o be referred to her for his prolapse if it didn't sort itself!

Thanks for the suggestion. We haven't spoken to her as yet but will bear it in mind. I wouldn't be so concerned generally as it's not really affecting them too badly and if it's something chronic they have to live with then so be it. But we were really hoping to adopt Hay Monster and we just can't unless they get well and stay well. :(

ETA: Michelle your little bun with the prolpase, does he/she poo everywhere? Widget had a prolapse too when she was a baby which Stephan fixed but I wonder if it has left her unable to hold in her poos? She seems to go everywhere, especially when on grass, it's like it goes stright through her (poos are well fored though) whilst Sprocket is litter trained. :?

Last edited:
Back