• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snuffle buns and anestetic advice needed please

Mrs Ord

Mama Doe
Has anyone had the snuffle bun operated on? I want to get Carlisle de plummed and I'm worried about him going under and not comming back. Are they more at risk? I think since my last ops went so badly i'm over sensitive about it or am I right to be concerned? :(

Last edited:
Just to add he has only had two very mild bouts of snuffles and is curently all clear. He hasn't been ill for a good three or four months now :D

I have had some 'Snuffles' prone Buns who have had to have a GA. The risk is greater, but a good Vet will insure all necessary additional precautions are taken. This may include starting the Bun on abx a few days BEFORE the procedure takes place.

I have had some 'Snuffles' prone Buns who have had to have a GA. The risk is greater, but a good Vet will insure all necessary additional precautions are taken. This may include starting the Bun on abx a few days BEFORE the procedure takes place.

Thanks for that Jane I'll mention this to my vets and see what they say.

*tumble weed blows past* :roll: Thanks
:lol:

Tulip is not exactly a snuffle bun, TBH I am never sure what that means. Is it where snot comes out of the nose?

Anyhow, in her last home she was left untreated for a lung infection so by the time I rescued her she had major scaring on her lungs and always has an underlying infection in them. Her last X-ray showed that parts of her lungs are completely dead.

She is on a permanent course of Ronoxan and Uniphylin (antibiotics) plus Pednicare, (steroid).

OK, so my very rabbit savvy vet said. "what is the point of getting her stable just for her to develop Uterine cancer next year?"
How could I say no to that?

I was incredibly nervous for her to go under GA, but she came through fine. Although she was the only rabbit my vet had ever had to use a buster collar on after a spay:oops: She was on pain relief. (Before she tarted Pednicare.)

Sorry for the essay:oops:

ETA it will have a higher risk but if his infection is not "active" then I assume the risk is no higher than normal.:?

Last edited:
:lol: you're not being very patient.

I have had a couple go under. Badger doesn't have 'snuffles' but does have respiratory issues and he is very high risk, but has always come through fine. (he has GAs for dentals).

Autumn was a baby with a URI for many weeks. He was on antibiotics until he was about 12 weeks old (from about 4 weeks) and was deplummed at 14 weeks with no problems at all.

There is a higher risk, but that's something to discuss with your vet.

:lol: you're not being very patient.

I have had a couple go under. Badger doesn't have 'snuffles' but does have respiratory issues and he is very high risk, but has always come through fine. (he has GAs for dentals).

Autumn was a baby with a URI for many weeks. He was on antibiotics until he was about 12 weeks old (from about 4 weeks) and was deplummed at 14 weeks with no problems at all.

There is a higher risk, but that's something to discuss with your vet.

I know :oops:

Its good to hear a few have had GA without problems though it does make me feel a lot better. Thank you all :love:

hello :wave: sorry i didnt see this sooner, when casper has snuffles and when he was a little younger he went through GA with his dental. I think the most imporant thing is to be able to trust your vet. i had full trust in my vet, she gave him the safest meds to go under and only put him under for minimal time possible, but now he is older he went through a GA last year at 8 years old she did the same and had spures removed and he pulled through fine and recovered like nothing happened :), but now unfortunatly he has a molar that needed coming out but the GA for that much time would not be a good outcome now, but remebering he is 9 this year and he has multiple issues including snuffles,bladder sludge, abcess he pulled through all the GA just fine and he is even happy to this day, its just a bit too much for him now xx

just to add i know bisc or matt the two snuffle buns went through GA not that long ago for there dental too and both recovered well :)

Last edited:
Back