• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Possible broken bond - HELP!

sidney &lola

Mama Doe
SiDney went into stasis on Monday morning tried everything to get him to eat and nothing. So we took him to the vets at 9am where he was kept in, they gave him metroclopramide and metacam and tried to attach a drip to his ear? which he chewed through they then attached one to his other ear - which he chewed through - So they gave up on this! We collected him at 4pm as he had eaten a tiny amount of herbs at the vets. He had a catheter attached to his ear still and we kept him separate from Lola with a cage panel- so they could still see/smell each other

Lola watched him from the doorway and as she ran off she did binkies (as if to say she was pleased he was ill) we tried to reintroduce them later but Lola just ran away. We kept SiDney separate over night and my O/H stayed with him to keep an eye on him.

SiDney is now pooing and eating but when we try to put Lola with him she lunges and runs away, I have tried sitting them next to each other on the sofa and he grooms her but she pulls away and seems very cold towards him.

What can I do now to rebond them? (sorry for the extra long post)

IMG_1059.jpg

The reason We didnt take them together was it was a blind panic to get him to the vets,
When Lola went to the vets and stayed at hospital for 3 nights SiDney was all over her when she returned. I just didnt expect this to happen in less than 8 hours :(:(

It looks like you will have to rebond them (I have the same problem at the moment as one of my bunnies had bloat and had to be admitted for treatment!)

The advice I have been given is firstly put them in a carrier and take them for a drive as they will look to each other for comfort.

Then reduce their space right down in a neutral place - perhaps an indoor cage in a room they havent been before - and watch them closely for a few days until you are sure their bond has been restored.

I am not a bonding expert by any means. I am sure someone else will be along who can provide more advice.

i'm not sure what to advise but i'm sure someone will be along to help you soon. i'm glad Sidney is ok.

maybe Lola was binking because she was glad to see Sidney. have you tried putting them together somewhere more contained and neutral for a few hours? if lola is just lunging then running it sounds better than if she was properly chasing and attacking.

sorry i couldn't be much help. hope it all works out ok.

Thanks both for your advice,
I dont drive so taking them out is a no no, and as they have free range of the flat Lola has gone around chinning everywhere:lol::lol: They both had free run last night and Lola slept under the bed and SiDney was on the mat at the side.

i'm sorry, i have no bonding advice but look at that poorly ear'ole:love:

glad he's feeling better x

look at that poorly ear'ole

He hated it! Don't know why he had the drip on his ear, when Lola had one they put it in her leg and shaved around so she looked like she had poodle legs. :lol::lol:

Things are looking up, although still quite tense Lola was grooming SiDney earlier and has stopped lunging at him (touch wood):D
DSC00967.jpg

DSC00970.jpg

Back