• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny wont let cut heal

kiwilime

New Kit
I found a strange sore under my rabbits chin a couple of weeks ago, I took her to the vet and she gave me some antibiotics and said to let it heal up, it has largely done so apart from the lower part of it which i suspect is because she can reach it during her cleaning and is keeping it from healing.
It is in a really awkward spot to try and stop her getting at it, anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

I could be completely wrong, but my immediate thought is that the chin injury is due to having dental problems.

I dont know how to stop her from reaching it, but manuka honey can help with healing and keeping it from getting infected. I think it should have a high UMF level.. 25+ or something. I don't know if she'd just lick it worse then though...

Thanks

Thanks for the reply but it doesn't look like a teeth issue and the vet has agreed. I'm wary about putting anything on there that might encourage her to focus on it more. Its more ideas to block her access to it that im looking for but it seems to be a really tough task.

Thanks again though

Would you be able to take a picture as it's hard to visualise? Or explain where abouts on her chin it is? Could she be scratching it if it's itchy while it's healing?

Perhaps you could just ring up the vets and ask to speak to the person you saw, just to get some more advice.

Hi, it does not seem to be causing her much/any pain but its hard to tell with rabbits. She is still eating, drinking and being friendly and energetic so I think its more of an irritation than anything.

If she is grooming it, then she may be doing that because its uncomfortable, itching, sore (so that would be the sign she is not 100%) and therefore it might be worth trying some pain relief, like Metacam, for a couple of days to see if that helps.

Back