• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ABIDEC child vitamins for rabbits

nessar

Warren Veteran
On vets advice I am giving my rabbit vitamins, these ones actually:
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/rabbit-vitamin-solution-100ml-by-beaphar-15802
but he refuses to drink if its in his water and eats pellets very reluctantly if its on them (very unusual, they are normally gone in 30 seconds).

I saw a different vet today and she said that some people give these vitamins to bunnies: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Abidec-Vita...CH1A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299616278&sr=8-1
as they are sweet so fussy bunnies take them easier. They contain vitamins A, B, C, D and E.

Anyone heard of doing this? Would you reccommend it or not?

eta: just realised amazon has found a fair few pet and pet illnesses books that are coming up as suggesting it , hmmm but no books on rabbit care, just rodents and birds :?

Last edited:
Why does your vet feel that your rabbit needs total vitamin supplement?

I'm concerned because the body can't get rid of an overload of fat soluble vitamins ADEK & overload can cause problems in it's own right.

I don't think rabbits really need vitamins if they are being provided with the correct diet, or is there a specific reason they would be suggested?

I wouldn't think they would need anything sweet, rabbits can put on weight easily.

It was suggested to help him fight his respiratory infection, first vet said get rabbit-specific ones, second vet suggested the ABIDEC baby drops when I said he didnt like the rabbit vitamins.

They werent prescribed as such, just mentioned as 'it wouldnt hurt to...'.

Have you tried Beaphar Vitamin Spray instead? I find it easier to spray it onto their pellets with a few squashed peas on top. I only give them half a dose, but they munch it down.
I don't know any national chains where you can get, I get it from a local petshop. You can also get it on the internet.

It was suggested to help him fight his respiratory infection, first vet said get rabbit-specific ones, second vet suggested the ABIDEC baby drops when I said he didnt like the rabbit vitamins.

They werent prescribed as such, just mentioned as 'it wouldnt hurt to...'.

Rather than give vitamins, some of us use Echinacea. It boosts the immune system indirectly by lowering cortisol (stress hormone) levels, AND also reduces gut slow down from high cortisol levels.
Gut slow down is a very common whenever a bun is ill, & prevents them from eating /drinking enough. It can also be countered by feeding herbs & safe tree leaves.
Although my main interest is in stasis prone bunnies, I'm astounded by the general improvement in bunnies with chronic illness ranging from kidney failure to snuffles on a "wild plant" diet. Some examples of what we are using are on thread: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264764&highlight=leaves+stasis+prone+buns

I'd advise this approach because our bunnies know what they need & can select the vitamins from natural foods without risk of overload.
It's also amazing that althoughwe have chronically ill bunnies, they are in very good condition. ;)

Rather than give vitamins, some of us use Echinacea. It boosts the immune system indirectly by lowering cortisol (stress hormone) levels, AND also reduces gut slow down from high cortisol levels.
Gut slow down is a very common whenever a bun is ill, & prevents them from eating /drinking enough. It can also be countered by feeding herbs & safe tree leaves.
Although my main interest is in stasis prone bunnies, I'm astounded by the general improvement in bunnies with chronic illness ranging from kidney failure to snuffles on a "wild plant" diet. Some examples of what we are using are on thread: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264764&highlight=leaves+stasis+prone+buns

I'd advise this approach because our bunnies know what they need & can select the vitamins from natural foods without risk of overload.
It's also amazing that althoughwe have chronically ill bunnies, they are in very good condition. ;)

I would like to get some Echinacea in (just to have it handy) - what form would you recommend - is there one particular product that is better than others? Thanks:)

I would like to get some Echinacea in (just to have it handy) - what form would you recommend - is there one particular product that is better than others? Thanks:)

I haven't used it myself but friends have used it for bunnies & buy the drops. They are given for 5 consecutive days then 2 days break. They hide it in a bunny treat. ;)

I haven't used it myself but friends have used it for bunnies & buy the drops. They are given for 5 consecutive days then 2 days break. They hide it in a bunny treat. ;)

I have the actual dried herb but may try getting some drops or tablets too. I know you dont use it personally but do you know why there is a break? Echinacea has been proven to be an immune support, not an immune stimulant as was traditionally thought, so humans are now not reccommended to take breaks whereas before they were. Is it different for buns do you know?

A. Vogel is a very good brand for herbal medicines that is readily availble. They use the entire plant, not just the 'active' part, so they tend to get better results. I could explain the whole experiment they did but its complicated :lol:

A. Vogel is a very good brand for herbal medicines that is readily availble. They use the entire plant, not just the 'active' part, so they tend to get better results. I could explain the whole experiment they did but its complicated :lol:

Right - I'll take your word for it:lol:

Back