• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sorry another poop question!

dvcm11

New Kit
Hi

I am a new owner to two 2 year old lionhead rabbit whic I have adopted.

Over the last day or so one of them has had very large sticky poo's (not runny), today however i went into their room (they are house buns) and it smelt awful so I checked them both & one has a large amount of poo stuck to her bottom.

I have washed her using warmish water and got the vast majority off but their is some stuck to her fur still.

Will she clean this off herself or is there anymore I can do.

I cut out all her veg to see if that helped and it does seem to be going back to normal.

Thanks in advance.

The more than can be cleaned or carefully trimmed off the better.

How many pellets do they have? Also what fresh veg have you been feeding?

Are they eating hay?

Is that bunny overweight?

HI

Thanks so much for the reply.

She is quite tiny and not overweight, I weigh the food out (i went by what it said on the pack so hoping I have it right) They have unlimited fresh hay and water daily. I was giving them greens but she did have a carrot the day before all this started & i am now thinking it wasn't a wise move.

Thanks again

Sugary foods and lots of protein can cause these problems.

Carrots would be a likely culprit, but also so may pellets be. Often the amount stated on the bag is more than the rabbit actually needs. How much, roughly, do you give? (if you can sort of describe it in handfuls or something, that might help, I don't know weights :lol:).

erm i would say about a handful each in the morning then they were having their greens in the afternoon.

She has always seemed a good hay eater but we really haven't had them long so I am not 100% of what they were like before.

Back