• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor Cage for a Nethie

I would suggest you're probably better off making an NIC Grid Cage, because you can make it the size you want and to fit the area you want, plus make it as tall as you want.

I can't quite work out how much floor space that gives because of the triangular shape, but Nethies need so much space! They may be small but they are certainly full of energy, and you want to get the biggest possible space you can afford :wave:

http://www.therabbithouse.com/indoor/rabbitcages_choosing.asp has it down as being 1 sqm, don't really want to go down the NIC route as they don't look the sturdiest!

Hmmm, that does seem very small. The review on that website says that it's very low too. I think it's an awful lot of money for what it is, NIC cubes would probably better! I've never used them myself but they seem very sturdy, there is a thread round here somewhere showing people's NIC set-ups and they're brilliant! Alternatively just google them for ideas :wave:

I definitely wouldn't go for that, it looks far too small and being two tiers means they can't run up and down. Nethies have LOTS of energy! So need a bigger space even though they are small.

Do you have a room you can proof and then use a baby gate on? I've found this to be the easiest and best way personally.

Thanks for your replies - reserved a few packs of Wire mesh cubes from B&Q, will build something over the weekend.

A room to himself is not an option, he'll be sharing a room with us until we can afford our own place, then he and our other two buns (currently outside buns) will share a room :)

I think you have definitely gone for the best option now, I look forward to seeing pictures of the finished cage when you've made it *hint hint* :D

Thanks for your replies - reserved a few packs of Wire mesh cubes from B&Q, will build something over the weekend.

A room to himself is not an option, he'll be sharing a room with us until we can afford our own place, then he and our other two buns (currently outside buns) will share a room :)

Sounds like a brilliant idea. The cubes are a great idea cos when you do get your new place they are really good for proofing. :thumb:

and it's almost finished!

cookiehome.jpg

Apologies for the bad light...didn't want to use the flash :p

Three floors, 300 hundred cable ties (we haven't finished because we've run out of them :lol:) cost us just over £100 which is the same as we would have been paying for the cage I linked in the first post :shock:

Only thing is that Cookie isn't quite big or confident enough to jump up and down so we plan on putting stools for him to use (He likes to hide away under them sometimes which is a bonus for him!) - does anyone have any better suggestions or will the stools be ok?

AHAHAHAAAAA thats fantastic!! I wish my two would have a good run about... they either flop out in the house or sit and clean themselves in the run :roll:

Hes beautiful :)

oh hes not mine I just came across it a while ago and thought it was brilliant! My own bun does a few mad dashes and then spends the rest of the day sleeping or begging for attention.

How did you get the shelves so sturdy? It looks lovely, how big did you make it?

Make sure he gets supervised free-range indoors or outdoors, or time in a run every day :wave: this is why :lol: :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HiO9rzU_aw

The base is 3 cubes x 2 (108cm x 72cm), shelves are 72x72. 1.8sq meters in total

Shelves are 6mm MDF with Carpet on top + folded round the edges. Drilled four holes at the end of the shelves and cabled tied to the NIC shelf supporting it. Surprised at how sturdy it is to be honest, it was my main concern when thinking about building a cube cage :lol:

He gets time outside in a big run, he loves racing around (When he's not stuffing his face with grass :D)

Last edited:
Only thing is that Cookie isn't quite big or confident enough to jump up and down so we plan on putting stools for him to use (He likes to hide away under them sometimes which is a bonus for him!) - does anyone have any better suggestions or will the stools be ok?

The stools sound great. :thumb: Looks too narrow for a ramp and the stools will serve a dual purpose :thumb:

I don't think it would be too narrow for a ramp, we wouldn't fix the top of the ramp directly to the next floor up, instead we'd fix it to the grids underneath a few inches in (and raise the bottom of the ramp a few inches off the floor).

However he's quite attached to his stool so I think we'll be using them! Though I think we'll put some carpet on top to make it a little grippier for him :lol:

Back