• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Persistent mites

BB Mommy

Warren Veteran
Anyone have any experience of this?

Oscars immune system is low, and he has had mites persistently now for a few months.

He's had ivermectin by injection every 10 days (x3 doses) but they just don't seem to be shifting.

He's on Metacam, zantac and Engemycin permanently.

His partner remains completely clear of mites.

Any one any suggestions or good alternatives to Ivermectin???

I honestly rate the spot-ons more than injectable ivermectin...although not all spot-ons seem to be equally as effective...Beapher and Xeno get the thumbs up from me (Xeno is one of the more pricey treatments because it apparently also acts as a preventative for an amount of time after treatment)

Mites

Ive triued Xeno spot on - wouldnt recommend it though as George reactited badly to it. Am currently trying him on the injectionds but he's only had 2, mited are better-ish but not gone.

So would lobe to hear about alternative treatments as well......

Selamectin is very effective. I know it as Revolution but I think in the UK it is called Stronghold.

Ive triued Xeno spot on - wouldnt recommend it though as George reactited badly to it. Am currently trying him on the injectionds but he's only had 2, mited are better-ish but not gone.

So would lobe to hear about alternative treatments as well......

Was it Xeno or Xenex? Its Xenex that usually caused reactions (it contains Permethrins). I've never heard of a reaction to Xeno :?

Was it Xeno or Xenex? Its Xenex that usually caused reactions (it contains Permethrins). I've never heard of a reaction to Xeno :?

I agree with this. Are you sure it was Xeno?

Ivermectin has caused incredibly limited reactions, whereas Xenex has caused widespread reactions.

Xeno and Beapher both list the active ingredient as Ivermectin, which I've tried already:cry:

Haven't heard of Revolution over here, and I can't find a Stronghold for rabbits.

Think I'll ring the vet...

Just found an article on rabbit mites that suggests that a dip - Aludex - can remove the top layer of keratin that the mite feeds on. It doesn't kill the mites, but I'm wondering if it can be used in conjunction with Ivermectin.

After a course of 3 lots of Ivemectin, how long a gap is needed before its safe to re-treat again?

p.s don't worry, I'm gathering info so WILL run it past the vet first!!

I don't think I'd use a dip or shampoo tbh. I'd be worried that the stress would cause more problems than the mites. IMO you're much better trying spot-on before going down this route...I find it to be more effective than injectable ivomec

Ivermectin is very safe, so I don't *think* it's advised to leave a specific gap between treatments AFAIK, but do check with your vet.

Back