• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Runs...

beausaffie

Warren Scout
I am moving to a house with an 80ft garden and my bunnies will finally get to eat real grass finally but they NEED a run each or i may loose them forever ha ha!

My boys must have seperate runs as they have sepearte indoor cages. I was wondering where the best place would be to buy 2 outoor runs. I am looking for ones with wooden frames so they are more study from foxes. (They will go in the cages at night though)

And maybe a little bedroom on the end incase its windy or rains a teeny bit they can hide.

I know i sound a little crazy! But i thought here would be ther best place to get reccomendations and advice for prices and runs!

Thanks for reading... Claire & Buns... :D

Are your buns not bonded?

I have this foldable run: click here From ebay.

Great run, with a sheltered end :)
I only used it for George when he was a baby, or for when i go away for the weekend and my nan has to take care of the bunnies, otherwise they all have free range.

My photo of the run:

P4010001.jpg

You could always put a hutch inside the run for shelter and somewhere to hide if you dont find the run you are after.

I only used it for George when he was a baby, or for when i go away for the weekend and my nan has to take care of the bunnies, otherwise they all have free range.

My photo of the run:

P4010001.jpg

You could always put a hutch inside the run for shelter and somewhere to hide if you dont find the run you are after.

:shock:

Thats amazing and really good value. Is the quality alright? Is it heavy?

I love it!!!

But my boyfriend had said he wants something not so big and that can fold away.

No my boys arent bonded Saffie hates Beau... A real shame! :(

:shock:

Thats amazing and really good value. Is the quality alright? Is it heavy?

The quality is fine, its a little heavy... for me :oops: :lol: But i can lift it on my own etc, so it cant be that heavy!
The bunnies have nibbled some of the wood though :roll: and keep getting under the cover i have for it, so i dont know the damage they have done over winter :shock: :lol:

Someone else has the same run on the forum too :wave:

I love it!!!

But my boyfriend had said he wants something not so big and that can fold away.

No my boys arent bonded Saffie hates Beau... A real shame! :(

Its 6ft x4ft which is the recommended size for one or two bunnies.

Its foldable... so you can store it :wave:

My boys cant be kept together as they fight. So im after 2 excatly the same but a little smaller. I want big runs for them! :cry:

I don't think wooden ones are very secure. Usually they could be easily moved, chewed, or dug under by a predator (and wire ones can be dug under too if you don't prevent it). I like dog kennels. Probably cheaper and bigger (you can get a 12x10 for around $250) and they're 6ft high so they really feel much more like an aviary than a 'run'. Also can't be damaged by a rabbit or rats and can't get pee stains like wood gets.

I have the larger of these two. http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches_cages/runs_fencing/pens_with_racks/35638

It is for my foster buns so is in the front garden away from my own buns. It would be easy to put two or more together for more space. It comes with pegs to stake it into the grass and I got one of the wee houses for them as a retreat. I use a waterproof picnic blanket as a rain/sun cover and use clothes pegs to keep it from blowing away. So far no one has tried digging out and they have a digging box in the run as well as a tunnel and hide away grass house.

My boys cant be kept together as they fight. So im after 2 excatly the same but a little smaller. I want big runs for them! :cry:

Im not telling you to put them together :? I just said its the recommended size for one OR two... you shouldnt get a run any smaller, it wouldnt be fair on them :(

In fact, as the others have said, you should be looking at getting a bigger run if its the only exercise they are going to get :(

You have a huge garden... so you have plenty of room :?

I have the larger of these two. http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches_cages/runs_fencing/pens_with_racks/35638

It is for my foster buns so is in the front garden away from my own buns. It would be easy to put two or more together for more space. It comes with pegs to stake it into the grass and I got one of the wee houses for them as a retreat. I use a waterproof picnic blanket as a rain/sun cover and use clothes pegs to keep it from blowing away. So far no one has tried digging out and they have a digging box in the run as well as a tunnel and hide away grass house.

Thats the one I have been looking at. Mine currently free range in the garden when I let them out but I dont like to leave them unattended so looking at a run for the summer months.

My photo of the run:

P4010001.jpg

Ive got this run too...but without the covered end bit - so all mesh...from the same seller! I have found the wood quite soft...but the mesh is on the inside so its only chewable from the outside...which mine have had access to whilst being indoors...:roll:
I would not say its fox proof...I always shut the buns away at night - and would not let them be in the run unless I was home during the day ...which I was when they were outside.
I dont think is big enough really....mine had free range indoors alot so it was no the only excerside space they got.
They can jump about sideways but can run or do big binkys as its not high enough....and when they did get excited they would bash into the sides....I had 2 buns in this 6X4 run.
Its just that once you put in a cover/hidey hold...tunnel, water, litter tray & hay there was not much space left to play....so even though its "suitable" I would say they would need more space to be able to really play....
Obviously if they get free range in the garden and the run is for shorter periods of time...its better.
If you divided this run in half....its just too small for even one bun.:?

Have you though of perhaps doing a walk in aviary style run? You can then make more space by adding levels so they have more to occupy them and also alot easier to spend time with them.
My buns have jumped out my run....so when they have been in the garden - it was difficult to sit with them...worried they jump out if the roof is open & if I sat in with them...they got all excited but there was no room to binky cause i filled up the space.....

Its a fine run...but would try get one with more height & at least a run that size for each of your buns.....hope this loooooong post helps with some options to consider!:wave:

My boyfriend wont let me get bigger than a 4ft run. I have been trying to tell him how can it be a run if they cant actyually run in it! But hes not having it. Im anoyed but i have had to compromise, he dont particually like my rabbits anyway. I have tried to argue my point but he is just not having it. Im so anoyed as my bunnies take turns coming out for 2 hours each a night to run around my big frobt room. I just dont know what else i can do do make him see they need to be able to run around. They love going 50mph binkying about my living room but he wont let them in our new house either! I have to wait until my garage had been sorted out as i will be working in there and they can then run about in there. :(

I understand beausaffie, my OH is the same :roll:
Took tonnes of compromising to get him to agree to a 6 x 8 run with a hutch attached on the patio. But eventually he did as I agreed to letting him have a chimney burner thingy... :lol:

Couldn't you sneak an extra foot here and there? - is he really going to notice and/or measure if he doesn't like your buns and doesn't have much to do with them?

Or... What if you got TWO 4ft ones and joined them swapping the buns from there to hutch every two hours?

Or even convincing him they won't come into the house as often IF they were to have a little bit bigger runs?

I know it's clutching at straws but... :? blokes eh?? Who'd have em!!!

Its half your house and garden, tell him your rabbits can run around your half of the garden (40 ft), and your half of the living room! He is being unreasonable in my opinion.

I am moving to a house with an 80ft garden and my bunnies will finally get to eat real grass finally but they NEED a run each or i may loose them forever ha ha!

My boys must have seperate runs as they have sepearte indoor cages. I was wondering where the best place would be to buy 2 outoor runs. I am looking for ones with wooden frames so they are more study from foxes. (They will go in the cages at night though)

And maybe a little bedroom on the end incase its windy or rains a teeny bit they can hide.

I know i sound a little crazy! But i thought here would be ther best place to get reccomendations and advice for prices and runs!

Thanks for reading... Claire & Buns... :D

Looks good :)

I can understand having to compromise...BUT there is so much you should have to compromise on....Id really ask why he doesnt want them to be able to display their natural behaviour? Is he being unkind...or has he just not realised how much space they actually need?

I think Id have to put my foot down....they need X amount of space....where shall we set them up?
If he say why do they need that much space..or says they dont need that much space....then id ask why? I would expect an explanation & reasons...and they would have to be good...

I know its hard and you dont want to cause fights between yourselves...but the buns dont have anyone else to fight their corner for them...the RSPCA does specify that animals need to be able to display their natural behaviour...2 hours a day is just not enough time unfortunatly.:?

You mention that you are upset that you have had to compromise...what is the compromise? has he compromised anything?

If it were a dog for eg. would it be ok to shut it in a cage all day & only let it out for short times...perhaps this image would help him relate to the buns life as the see it.
Bless you - I hope you have the strength to give your buns what you want...:wave:

If it's comfy pets- i doubt it would last more than a year- my hutch didn't by them even though it was big. If you want something temporary it's fine though. The stains from most companies are rubbish.

Back