• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Medication response times U/D post14

Pie

Warren Veteran
Pie is ill with stasis again. She was showing bad signs within 2 hours of eating her breakfast this morning.
I took her to the vets at around 12:30/1pm today. They gave her an injection of Metacam and Metoclopramide and I have some Metacam here with me at home.

She is acting as bad as ever though. She came home and ate a tiny amount of new hay I put down and we have had 1 rather, dark sticky poo but thats all.
She is straining, can't stay still etc.
How long does it usualy take to take effect and how long does Maetacam stay in the system?
Usually within 2 hours she is acting like there isn't much wrong and eating/drinking but this time she isn't. :cry: This is so upsetting to watch, I need tot know if I have to take her back to the vets. Any advice anyone? This is bad. :(

Last edited:
Fluids under the skin - I take it you mean injections? If so yes, she had one .15ml Metacam.
And one 10mg/2ml Per Amp X 0.3 (don't know what it all means sorry :oops: ) of Metoclopamide.

She weighs 1.54kgs (she is a small mini lop)

Vet wasn't who I usually have but she said her stomach feels ok but right at the back of the body/gut was a mass (of impacted poo). About the length of someones first finger and almost 1/2 inch thick! I have tried massaging her tummy/gut but it's very hard to do with just me here and trying to keep her calm and in one place.

She usually responds well to the Metoclopramine but this time just doesnt seem to be doing anything.

Fluids under the skin - I take it you mean injections? If so yes, she had one .15ml Metacam.
And one 10mg/2ml Per Amp X 0.3 (don't know what it all means sorry :oops: ) of Metoclopamide.

She weighs 1.54kgs (she is a small mini lop)

Vet wasn't who I usually have but she said her stomach feels ok but right at the back of the body/gut was a mass (of impacted poo). About the length of someones first finger and almost 1/2 inch thick! I have tried massaging her tummy/gut but it's very hard to do with just me here and trying to keep her calm and in one place.

She usually responds well to the Metoclopramine but this time just doesnt seem to be doing anything.

If she has an impaction, metaclop would be the last thing to give a bunny?

Id guess she would need sub cut fluids (fluids under the skin, not metacam or other drugs) to help break it down and something else i cant remember but jane will!

did the vet inject fluids under the skin? not medicine, just fluids?

if they can feel an actual impaction and she doesn't improve or pass anything, i'd def take her back.

thoughts with you and pie xxx

did the vet inject fluids under the skin? not medicine, just fluids?

if they can feel an actual impaction and she doesn't improve or pass anything, i'd def take her back.

thoughts with you and pie xxx

Nope, just the medication. It's annoying because Pie always perks up when we get the the vets (must be the adrenalin).

Her breathing gets slow and then quickens up again, her eyes are half closed because she's still in pain...

I just wondered if I am being oversensitive or if the reaction to the medicine is slower than normal.

If she's still not right I'd take her back this afternoon - it sounds as if she may need to be given fluids to hydrate her intestines again and get that mass moving. Metaclopromide should not be given if there is a true blockage but if it's a mass that building up because of a slow gut, then it's possible that with some additional fluids and various drugs, it may pass.

Good luck, hope your lovely Pie is ok xx

Sounds as though she has an impacted cecum. If she has then the usual treatment is aggressive fluid therapy, both oral and subcutaneous *even if the Rabbit is not dehydrated*. Medication - Lactulose, which is an osmotic laxative and draws fluid into the large intestines thus rehydrating the impacted mass. Ranitidine or Domperidone, which work on the HIND GUT to promote motility. Metoclopromide works higher up the GI tract.

Analgesia is usually Metacam. But initially an opiate analgesic may also be required.

Personally I would contact the Vet again and maybe discuss hospitalisation if the fluid therapy cannot be given at home.

Sending vibes.

Thanks JJ.
I have just spoken to the vets and am taking her back in for 5pm.
Looks like shes just eaten some cecotropes as I type but as you can see from the picture taken 5 mins ago, she is in alot of pain. Will repost with an update when I get back form the vets.
My poor little Pie :(
SL271795.jpg

awwww bless her:( her eyes show that she's feeling poorly.

hope your vet can get her feeling better soon x

Back from the vets.

Saw one of my usual vets - Lorenzo. He was shocked to see me in there again today :roll:
He gave her another (smaller) dose of Metaclopramide to help her through the night. She is sitting quietly at the moment, but I will have to watch her tonight and keep on with the tummy massages and if needed syringe her some fluids.
Its just strange how sometimes she can respond to the medication almost immediately and other times it takes hours. :?

I just hope she doesn't go downhill again tonight. Pooing vibes desperately needed. :(

really hope she will pick up soon :(

when alvin gives up i think fluids under the skin are the only thing that saves him, pain relief ofcourse but the fluids are a miracle. If she isnt better by tomorrow you really need to be forceful with the vet about fluids hun. ive had to cry to get a vet to do it, just to shut me up :roll: they tent the skin and say see look fine not dehydrated, but thats balls cus ive seen the stuff in action and its amazing for a bunny refusing food and water.... sorry for my rant :oops:

loads and loads of vibes xxxxxx

Was meant to post this hours ago but RU crashed! :roll:

Pie is a little better now. She is drinking a little bit but may have to syringe feed her some water later tonight. I will be staying on the sofa with her tonight and setting my alarm for every hour or so just to keep an eye on her.

She is eating like there is no tomorrow and the poo's are slowly increasing as the night goes on. Hope it continue's throughout the night.
But this came out of her about 2 hours after the second injection. It was the thickness of a fountain pen! :shock: It had lots of little very hard bits of poo in and must've been quite painful to pass, poor thing. This was one of 3 :shock: :(
(Sorry for the massive, graphic photo! :oops:)
DSC_7577.jpg

Back