• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny's eating the chicken pellets

Beski_84

New Kit
Hey Everyone.
My Little bunny, Billy, has a bad habit of eating the chicken pellets when he's having a run outside. The chicken need to have free range to the pellets, and if I put them up high from the rabbit, the chickens cant get it either.
Are these pellets doing any harm to him?
Ive tried putting his food out for him too, but he prefers the chickens pellets.
He eats plenty of plants and his food when he's back home, so its not a huge dose of them.
Thanks for your help in advance. :?

If these are the grey chicken pellets then they can seriously harm him as they are dried and will swell up with moisture once in the gut and may cause impaction or blockage.

One of my rabbits also tries to do this.

You must keep the pellets in a food dispenser for the hens and remove that when the rabbit is free range. The hens will be quite ok - as they are free range they have lot of other things to occupy them until the pellets come back! If there are scattered pellets around the dispenser find a way of blocking that area whilst he is out.

Do keep an eye on him whilst he is running in the hen area as hens have very sharp beaks and will occassionally peck at him.

If these are the grey chicken pellets then they can seriously harm him as they are dried and will swell up with moisture once in the gut and may cause impaction or blockage.

One of my rabbits also tries to do this.

You must keep the pellets in a food dispenser for the hens and remove that when the rabbit is free range. The hens will be quite ok - as they are free range they have lot of other things to occupy them until the pellets come back! If there are scattered pellets around the dispenser find a way of blocking that area whilst he is out.

Do keep an eye on him whilst he is running in the hen area as hens have very sharp beaks and will occassionally peck at him.

Oh No. Thats not what I wanted to hear, But the information I wanted. Thanks heaps for your help!

They definately wont be good for him buns tums are very delicate. Can you section the garden off and have a bun bit and a bird bit?

I agree with the above post, you should section of a separate pen for the chickens.
If they're with rabbits even for a little while they can sadly poke their eyes out :[

My rabbits are free range,they all used to eat the duck pellets and I now have wild ducks on the pond which I give a bowl full of corn to every day,they eat this to and have had no ill effects :D:D

my rabbit crunchie dug his way into the chicen pen on a regular basis, so i asum he ate the pellets tho these were brown type pellets, and he is fine x

Some buns have stomachs of iron (I have one like that!) but most are far more delicate and pellets in particular will swell up.

Back