• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit excel

Alicia

Mama Doe
The rabbits I'm going to get are fed on rabbit excel and I heard it's a good food so I'm going to keep feeding them that, but when I went into the pet shop to get some, there was lots of different types. There was small, junior and light. Which should I get? I'm really confused :? The rabbits I'm going to get are about 5 months old

Best to find out which one they are eating now and get that. You can make any changes necessary at a later date when they are settled in, say in a months time and then very gradually over at least a 2 week period. Some find that Excell produces soft poops.

my buns have the adult pellets and never had any problems with it. :) Some may say SS is better but I think it's very expensive and excel is just as good for my rabbits and easier for me to get so I don't see the point in changing. It says on the bag which age it's for. :)

Best to find out which one they are eating now and get that. You can make any changes necessary at a later date when they are settled in, say in a months time and then very gradually over at least a 2 week period. Some find that Excell produces soft poops.

:thumb:

At 5 mths old, they may still be on the junior and dwarf pellets but I would consider changing them (gradually) onto the adult version at around 6 mths anyway. If they're already on the adult version, then you can just keep them on that.

I've heard about the problem with soft poops too but Alfie and Bubbles didn't have any troubles with it. If your bunnies do seem to suffer though, then you could think about a different brand of pellets then. :)

Mine are on Excel Junior and Dwarf, (2 x 1 yr old Netherland Dwarfs and 1 x 6 month old Netherland Dwarf) they have been fine with it, their poos are huge and golden and crumbly, they don't have much pellets though they eat loads and loads and loads of hay.

I don't rate Excel at all. Every bun of mine that's ever eaten it has had excess caecatrophs (squishy poos). My new bun shelby is on a tiny amount and is still getting lots of squishy poos so am switching her onto Wagg Optimum.

I've also never bothered with Junior/Dwarf food, all mine just get the same. I used to use Science Selective which they did really well on but its too expensive for 9 rabbits so we now use Allen & Page and the fussy one an his wife are on Wagg Optimum and so is my house bunny.

Science Selective for 2 buns won't be expensive. It used to cost me about £7 to feed 3 buns for around 2, 2 and a half months.

I wouldn't touch Excel with a barge pole lol

Science Selective, Allen & Page and Wagg Optimum are the only rabbit pellets I would use or consider using

Thank you for the help. I'm not sure now :? I don't want to give them a food that might not be very good for them, and because they're my first rabbits I'm so worried about them getting ill. I think I'm going to buy some excel because that's what they're eating now anyway, and keep an eye on them, and swap to another food (probably Wagg Optimum) if they get soft poos.

I'd suggest asking the rescue which Excel they feed. Also ask them if they ever have an excess cecatrophs.

I've fed Excel a lot, in minimal amounts and only ever had a couple of bunnies struggle with it, but they also struggle with other foods too.

If they are settled and do ok on this then that's the important thing :)

I have used Excel, both Junior and Adult versions since 1999 for all ages of rabbits, think that the trick is not to give too many, a lot of people overfeed as they go by the guidelines on the packaging, which are way more than most rabbits need, as long as they are getting mostly hay, with pellets as just an extra then they should be fine, but as others have said, make sure to find out exactly what they are on at the moment, and if you do decide to change then remember to do it gradually.

Mine both have excel. Samus has a 'normal' amount and has no problems whatsoever. Grimlock has loads because he has health problems and does have excess cecals. I think it depends on the rabbit. If they've been fed on that already I would carry on unless you have any problems. :)

As long as your feeding plenty of hay and not too many pellets the differences between types and brands makes much less impact. It sounds very daunting when there is so many different options, so your best bet is probably to stick with exactly what they are on. You can make any adjustments, if needed, once they've settled in and you know them better :)

I think I'm going to buy some excel because that's what they're eating now anyway, and keep an eye on them, and swap to another food (probably Wagg Optimum) if they get soft poos.

I honestly think that's the best idea. :thumb: Excel is a good food food so, as long as your bunnies don't have any problems with soft poos while eating it, there's no reason why you can't continue to feed it.

Back