• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

'Mounds' of Skin Crusting - What Could It Be?

Oola

New Kit
Hi all

A few months ago I noticed that one of my bunnies has a couple of funny 'mounds' of crusty skin on his back. They're not more than 2mm in diameter and only 1 or 2mm high and when they're groomed over with a flea comb, small dandruff-like flakes come off. One or two have lifted off and broken skin is revealed underneath, a bit like picking a spot.

It doesn't seem to cause him any irritation generally, only when I accidentally lifted them off when grooming him, but they do grow back eventually. One of the 'mounds' was growing under a really densely packed patch of grey fur (he is grey and white), so I was wondering whether it was just a skin abnormality? They seem to come back - there are about three on his back (top of spine and near his tail), and they don't seem to get *bigger* I don't think.

It might be worth mentioning that he had his teeth removed before we adopted him, so I'm not sure whether normally he would groom out these patches of crusty skin himself. I can't find anything on the Internet that matches their description or the way they look. I'm going to get them checked out with the vet when he goes for his vaccinations, but that will be nearer the end of the month.

Given that he's had them for months and hasn't lost weight, has had no fur loss, is eating and pooing well and seems generally fine (and I'm pretty sure they haven't really spread), do you think it's anything to worry about or treat more imminently?

It sounds like a fungal infection to me. I say this as I have had an outbreak ofa fungal infection in my guinea herd just as you describe in six of my guineas.

I would take him the vet for a proper diagnosis and a possible culture so you can get to the bottom of whats troubling him.

Definitely vet visit for a proper diagnosis. It sounds like mites to me but then I'm mite obsessed at the moment as one of mine is being treated for them :D

Could be just dead skin cells, usually mites would cause irritation and hair loss aswell as the 'walking dandruff' have you tried rubbing a small amount of olive oil onto them for moisturisation and seeing if that helps, it won't hurt providing the skin is not broken or sore, regular brushing and keeping any bedding clean and dust/hair free will help aswell while your waiting to see the vet, it sounds feasible about the nibbling bit, I would imagine most buns do use their teeth in grooming :)

Thanks, I'll give the olive oil a go in the meantime as they don't seem to trouble him at all, but will make sure that the vet gets a good look at them when he goes for his vaccinations and health check.

is he a lone bun?

its just that this is exactly what bertie has....and now we have found the cause....bluebells overgrooming him..its only along his spine on his back....right down to his tail!:shock:

If you are going to rub anything into the skin then I would wear rubber gloves just incase it is something nasty. Perhaps I am being over cautious having gone through a fungal experience of late but its wise to be safe than sorry.

Flakes can be a sign on fungal too, this is what happened to us and we dismissed it as mites and treated. The next thing we know there is an outbreak of fungal going on!! Eek!

Hope it turns out ok. :)

Back