• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Piggie Advice.

allie1904

Mama Doe
As some of you may have seen in my picture posts I adopted some piggies on Friday. They are two boars.

Does it take them a while to settle? They have two floors in their cage so have 10 sq ft of space but they don't seem to like going up there. They get to the top of the ramp and then go back downstairs. I've put things up there so they are encouraged to go and explore but no such luck.

They don't really like me coming to say hello and they get really scared, we have been letting them run around the couch but they just want to go and hide :roll:

I wasn't expecting party tricks but but just wondering if you think they will settle more.

They are fabulous hay munchers and love their veggies :wave:

My two boys hide from me! Bruno comes to me only for food then runs off! I think its normal!

aww, hoepfully eventaully they will become more sociable, I adopted my 2 on sat, and they love cuddles, and as soon as u pick them up they snuggle right into you :love:

piggies are often shy

It takes time and patience, and some piggies will always be shy. Ramps and things take piggies longer to adapt to, as well. They may well go up when they are sure no-one is around. It might help if there's a shelter they can hide in on each level - we like the little 2-pig woven driedgrass shelters that P@H sell for £8ish - warm and cosy and edible and provide privacy for piggies.

When we shuttle our piggies to and fro to their lawn run (not yet - not warm enough) we use a nice old wicker shopping basket - they eventually associate it with pleasure and hop in happily. It all takes time. Stick with it - it does get better. Piggies are lovely, and when they reward you with their lovely bubbly noises they are so heart-warming. Enjoy.

We rehomed two girls autumn last year and theyre now starting to settle and calm down. They will now stay out when we come into the porch and will shout for food when they hear a rustle. They still run from the hoover and any major close contact (although settle and eat when on your lap now, just takes a minute) which is unlike our other two, who after living here for about 5 years have become immune to noises and people and dont run from anything. Well worth just sitting nearby and watching them, eventually they come out for food and as long as you dont move and scare them, they do gradually get used to you and once they associate you with yummy greens they usually stay out and let you hand feed them. Our boy piggle, Baldrick, adores attention from people, but attacked any other piggle we tried bonding him with so he actually sits there for cuddles and seems to genuinely love people.

it can take a while so be patient:)

edgar pig was really nervous and hid away a lot when he first came to me but these days, he's first up at the bars when he thinks there's food about and he loves a snuggle:love:

i made sure he got to know my voice before i offered to stroke him.

Back