• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

More e. cuniculi

kstevens7

Young Bun
Sorry about the influx of posts about e. cuniculi from me. Just trying to find out everything I can.

Does anyone know if a rabbit can recover from the parasite (get back to the way they were before obvious symptoms took hold) without any extra help or care? In other words, can things go back to normal by themselves?

By the way, I am not considering doing this. It is just a question.

Thank you

as far as I know the parasite stays in the system but once cured is dormant- so could possibly recur when a bunny is under par and assume you would just re-treat? ....but I'm not sure on this.

So once the bunny has had meds and is cured- if they had any symptoms at the end of the treatment I think thats what they would be left with?

or do you mean can they recover from EC without any meds?

sue:wave:

Thank you for your responses - I have just read the entire article and it was the best one I've seen on the subject.

I still don't have an answer to my question though! Haha, I'm currently waiting on the lapizole I ordered online (should come today or tomorrow!) and in the meantime Riley has seemed so much better. The head tilt is still there (obviously) but I havent seen her stumble or fall. Her appetite is back with a vengeance and her ears are lovely and warm again. I've even seen her running around! If it wasn't for her being tilty (its only a couple of degrees off) I would say she is a recovered bunny.

I was just wondering if it is her immune system kicking in and fighting the parasite, which would be great and gives me hope. I did read something about some rabbits recovering by themselves without any treatment (becoming aysymptomatic).

But yes, sorry Sue, I did mean if they could recover from the parasite without any meds! I wish it wasn't such a confusing illness!

What's more, I'm now suspicious. I have seen her shaking her head a good couple of times and she always has one of her ears (always the same one) elevated recently. The vet had a look in her ears and said they looked fine, and thus we assumed e. cuniculi. However, I have done a little research and it said that an inner-ear infection is a possibility. And also that it's more or less incurable, although I could try with antibiotics.

She has symptoms that would fit both possibilities - no a e. cuniculi ones (aka the more extreme extreme ones) so I'm confused.

I'd rather not take her back to the vet because this would stress her out a lot more, and in the event it is e. cuniculi, would make the illness even more likely to take hold of her.

:wave:My baby Belle has a suspected case of EC. It's been going on for ages at the vets but no one really took me seriously. Firstly urinary incontinenece then problems with her back legs. Ive been asking for well over a year at the vets.

Having seen about five different vets on different occasions, I finally started seeing someone else at the vets and she was amazing. After a round of bloods she diagnosed a kidney stone within one visit. Belle started recieving treatment for that but then her hind legs started being an issue. Eventually she was given a 28 day liquid panacur course and no word of a lie, the transformation is amazing. She still has an issue with her kidney but her whole back end has lifted (she practically used to drag it round) and she is back to being like grease lightening on her feet. It's unbelievable. Four weeks ago, after watching her struggle to get up after falling over and being so unstable on her feet (me and stephen throught she was going to have to consider having her put to sleep :() the difference is unbelievable :love:

I'm praying that the improvement continues. :love: My point is, it was really difficult for us to get a diagnosis, because the symptoms match so many other things :(

:wave:My baby Belle has a suspected case of EC. It's been going on for ages at the vets but no one really took me seriously. Firstly urinary incontinenece then problems with her back legs. Ive been asking for well over a year at the vets.

Having seen about five different vets on different occasions, I finally started seeing someone else at the vets and she was amazing. After a round of bloods she diagnosed a kidney stone within one visit. Belle started recieving treatment for that but then her hind legs started being an issue. Eventually she was given a 28 day liquid panacur course and no word of a lie, the transformation is amazing. She still has an issue with her kidney but her whole back end has lifted (she practically used to drag it round) and she is back to being like grease lightening on her feet. It's unbelievable. Four weeks ago, after watching her struggle to get up after falling over and being so unstable on her feet (me and stephen throught she was going to have to consider having her put to sleep :() the difference is unbelievable :love:

I'm praying that the improvement continues. :love: My point is, it was really difficult for us to get a diagnosis, because the symptoms match so many other things :(

Belle sounds like she had quite a serious case. I'm really sorry, but it's great that she is looking so much better now. I hope she fully recovers. :)

I just wish people knew a little more so things could be a little bit easier. Also, that vet care wasn't so expensive! It's so difficult to find a good rabbit vet where I live... Im still looking out.

I'm really looking forward to starting Riley on the lapizole... I just want her to be her old self again, so fingers crossed it works.

x

Sorry to jump on this thread, but BwfcAngel's post really caught my attention....

You're the first person I've come across on here who's been struggling with urinary incontinence for over a year which has baffled the vets. I'm pretty much in the same situation with Minstrel and I'm about to email my vet with as much info regarding EC as possible as this is the only thing she hasn't been considered treatment for. She doesn't fall over or struggle so much, but there are times, particularly when I handle her that her back legs just seem really 'limp' :(. This has really only been something I've noticed in the fast few weeks and her overall condition round the back end is pretty poor.

I know this isn't exactly a helpful post, but I'm so confused and feeling helpless :(

Back