• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice please

freklybird

Young Bun
Well after the sad loss of Cassie and Stew we have now fostered 2 new buns. They are semi feral, very scared and SMELLY!!!
They wont use any of the 4 litter trays in the bunny house and after being hutchbound for so long the girl is VERY fat but the boy is OK. How do you get one eating and the other not so much? The only time you see her move is when you refill the pellet bowl, I keep the food bowl out of the hutch so at least she gets some exercise getting to it! Also because of her weight she cant keep herself clean and she is in a terrible state down below, and the smell you cant describe. I've been bathing her once a day and trying to trim her but because she isnt used to being handled its very distressing for her. I try to be as quick as possible but it takes at least 10mins to soak her regions. She is also caked in very offensive smelling white discharge around her bits, its stuck on solid and obviously I cant take a pair of scissors to it. HELP!!!

Hi there. It doesnt seem to be fresh but its only day 2 of "operation mop up" i did ask the rescue lady and she said it was nothing to worry about but it is obviously the cause of the stench. Her bits arent red or swollen + in all other respects apart from the obesity she seems to be in good health. I will be asking the rescue lady again though if i see any actual discharge. its all the congealed stuff, it is solid and so offensive the poor thing.

Personally I would get them both checked over by a Vet tomorrow. The Doe may need cleaning up under sedation. They both probably need a thorough Dental examination too.

I assume the Rabbits are both neutered ?? If the Doe is entire then the offensive discharge *might* indicate an open pyometra (infected uterus).

OK thanx will do. I think its going to be a long road with these two, wud b lovely to get to a stage when they let me stroke them and they can be rehomed.... til then I must admire from afar!

Back