• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Traumatised Bun :O any ideas?

BexPets

Warren Scout
We have a very insecure bunny called Kimble - a netherland dwarf cross who grew up in a house with screaming, 3 year old children. He's scared of his own shadow, I swear, and last night a fox managed to break his run and he escaped. He squealed so loudly with terror that the neighbours all woke up and turned on their lights, and my dad was out there in his boxers with a torch. It was 3 in the morning.

I couldn't catch him, he was so skittish this morning it was painful to see. I shut him in a huge, very secure and safe pen when he ran in, and left him for the day.
When I came back he was still very scared and just sat in the middle of the whole pen, not evening looking up when I started walking towards him. He just let me walk up to him and pick him up.
It was like he'd given up completely!

Can't take him to the vets because when he went in to be neutered he spent the whole car journey in a state of hysteria. I think that going in a car would push him over the edge.

He's not ill - he's just had a scary experience.
Any advice for cheering him up? He had extra greens tonight and some carrot peelings to make him feel happier. We've left him in his hutch with plenty of privacy - shut the door to the run, though.

Thanks x

Would it be possible to bring him inside until he starts to feel normal again? He might feel a bit more secure and you'll be able to spend more time with him and be able to assess his mood more accurately.

Would it be possible to bring him inside until he starts to feel normal again? He might feel a bit more secure and you'll be able to spend more time with him and be able to assess his mood more accurately.

Couldn't bring him in as our house is very noisy - plumbing and boiler not quite working atm - and we have gerbils and hamsters who kept our poor house rabbits up all night scrabbling, digging and squeaking wheels. I think a change of environment would scare him even more x

Poor boy :'( thanks for the advice

Poor love :( I'm sure you've already sorted out a pen for him that you're confident that a fox can't get into after this shock? I think the most important things for him at th emoment are to be somewhere totally secure and with plenty of 'bolt holes' to help him feel secure - wild rabbits above ground are always near to a burrow so they have somewhere to run and hide if they feel unsafe, the same is probably true of your little chap.

In the longer term, if possible I would suggest seeing if you can get him a friend; it's amazing what difference a confident bunny pal can make to a terrified bunny. My Mavis was apparently one of the most traumatised, terrified bunnies that the rescue had ever seen but now she is bonded with Dudley she is happy and confident. She still doesn't really like people or being handled but she is 50000% better than she was. Might be worth thinking about if it could be a possibility for you :)

Good luck xx

Leave him in a safe place in the house or even in a secure shed- permanently until he can redevelop his confidence- don't move him for any reason or pick him up or comfort him.

Just let him calm down, get some perspective and start to trust again. Maybe come feed by hand some greens, but don't insist on anything from him-comforting him when he is already terrified wouldn't be the right thing in my view.

Keeping him on four paws at all times so he can regain his power and control and keeping the environment as quiet and stable as possible. Approaching very very slowly and with care in all interactions. Perhaps bond with another scared bunny-this could help if done by a professional or if you are experienced :)

Feed readigrass or pick up grass and herbs rather than take him out to grass- Make sure he has plenty of hiding space if kept anywhere - a nesting box of somekind.

Hope that helps xxxxx

p.s I had two scared buns i bonded and it worked out amazingly- they are brave for each other now and it's a beautiful thing to see. I would try another bun for sure.

thanks,

After we got him neutered we tried him with three seperate, smaller and younger females on seperate occassions in neutral territory. He attacked them upon sight :( He barrelled into them, ripped out fur, chased and growled. He was so vicious and aggressive we were really cautious about putting him with another rabbit.

any tips on this as well would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

After we got him neutered we tried him with three seperate, smaller and younger females on seperate occassions in neutral territory. He attacked them upon sight :( He barrelled into them, ripped out fur, chased and growled. He was so vicious and aggressive we were really cautious about putting him with another rabbit.

any tips on this as well would be greatly appreciated.

Not too worry then- that would be for a later date once he has calmed down some-some buns never go with others regardless- I'd just keep him somewhere safe and quiet and concentrate on trying to gain your personal trust with him via hand feeding and gentle soothing talks.

He's got a healthy appetite at the moment and is drinking sufficiently: but he's just very, very withdrawn. I feel so sorry for the little guy.

How long should I wait before trying another introduction?

He's got a healthy appetite at the moment and is drinking sufficiently: but he's just very, very withdrawn. I feel so sorry for the little guy.

How long should I wait before trying another introduction?

Hmm based on what you have said- it would have to be a totally new bun- else try again maybe in six months if you think he has come on any in himself.

Back