• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly Teeth-What & when?

Janey

Warren Veteran
How do you know what to do and when with rabbits? Do you wait for things to get really bad or try a more preventative method?

Poppy has a history of dental disease. She has her teeth burred 2-3 times a year and this is done consciously.

For a while now Poppy has had diseased bottom incisors. These were been treated with depocillin but she had an injection sight reaction which ended in surgery and her having a rather large lump removed from her back. Since then she has had a course of baytril and for a couple of months now there have been no probs-today however the teeth are a bit pussy (ot on baytril at the mo).

She will be going to the vets but what do I do now? When I went for myxi jabs last week I saw a very rabbit savvy vet who said they could be taken out (he said there will inevitably be an abcess develop at some point), but do I do this now whilst she is happy or do I just try and control the situation? Once those teeth are out there will be no more conscious dentals because they use the front teeth to lever/clamp and keep the mouth open-she would need to be put under anaesthetic in future. Also, she is happy in herself at the moment, the incisor removal would be risky and there is the recovery to consider (getting her eating after her spay was a big enough challenge).

What would other people do? I know I have to make this decision but it's really hard, she is coming up to 5 so no spring chicken bless her :?

My old Bun Jacques had alot of problems with his teeth. the vet took out his front teeth. and would file down his back teeth about every 6 months. But he wouldn't eat hay so I think that would have help. It wasn't very nice, when his teeth were playing up, he wouldn't eat and I would have to soak his food and hand feed him.:(

Back