• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

how long to wait?

I have been a browser on these forums a few months now, and could really use some advice.
On Sunday my 3 year old rabbit stopped eating and pooing. I took him to the vets that afternoon as I researched this and knew it was serious.

The vet gave fluids, pain killers and something to get the gut moving. It is now Mon evening and still no poo! He is hopping around still, but obviously in discomfort. Have syringe fed pineapple juice, he has eaten some dandelion leaves, parsley and a teeny bit of chard. He won't touch the critical care from the vet. Took him again this morning -he is still hydrated and temperature was normal.

My question is - am I being cruel keeping him going? I am living in hope he will get his digestion system going again, but worry I am causing him unnecessary pain too.
Anyone know how long he can go without pooing?
Thanks in advance.

Do they know what's caused it?

Has he had pain relief?

I've known of rabbits go for a week or more without pooing and with good care come through it ok. However, Stasis is secondary to something else and is always caused by something, so you need to identify the something to work out the best way to help him.

He was only castrated a week ago - adopted him from a friend and wanted to bond him so he wasn't lonely. Although he ate/pooed ok after the op am worried it was the stress of having it done:(

Did the Vet give any more treatment today ?

In cases of GI stasis gut motility drugs, pain relief and fluids usually needs to be ongoing, not just a one off dose. In particular the pain relief he had yesterday will have worn off by now.

Has his surgical wound been checked for any sign of infection, severe bruising and/or inflammation.

No you aren't being cruel. :( I am sorry he is ill. With proper care he will again be a happy bunny and he will thank you for it :)

I would be afraid he could have a blockage and thats why he isn't pooping :? If he doesn't start pooping soon it would probably be a good idea to bring him to the vet just to be sure.

Well I have never been so relieved to see half a dozen droppings! Very small and dried up but hopefully a sign something is moving again! Just been out scouring for more dandelion leaves and he has gobbled them up with a carrot top and handful of parsley.

His wound from the op is all fine, no infection. The only things I can think of are the shock of having the op, maybe it was too much change for him in just a couple of months with getting used to a new home and people too?

I have postponed his vet appointment until tomorrow now to see how he gets on, again it is hard to know if another jab would help or another trip to the vet would have stressed him out more.

Thank you for the replies to my post, hopefully when this is better I can be a more constuctive poster on these forums! This site has been a godsend for info.
:)

That's brilliant! Its amazing how important those little poos are. I hope he continues to pick up :)

Just an update, because I know when I was desperately looking for cheer on the internet a couple of days ago it was really annoying not to hear how the bunnies were in the end on some threads/forums.

I know it is still early days, but my Freddie is eating and drinking again, first wee or two last night and picking up on the pooping front too! Really hoping we are over the worst now.

Good luck to anyone who reads this in the future with a similar problem , don't give up!

On an aside, don't want to put him back outside now, I like him indoors where I can keep an eye on him! Wonder how long I can keep him in before my husband comments...!

Back