• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Homecheck

Alicia

Mama Doe
I've reserved some rabbits at a rescue and I've got to wait for my hutch to get here to have a homecheck, I've never had one before and I don't really know what to expect. Are they just interested in the hutch and run and garden? Also, should I set up the hutch as if it was ready for a rabbit to live in it (like put all the bedding in and hutch accessories etc.) or should I just put all of the things for the rabbits in a box on top of the hutch so the rescue person can see it all? If you have any other advice with homechecks please tell me :)

I've just done a course on home visits for the RSPCA. :)
They just want to see your set up and have a chat with you about your knowledge. You've done all your research so you should be fine. I wouldn't bother setting it up, just let them see everything you have. They might take some pictures of the hutch or make some notes. :wave:

I find it off putting if someone has put in the hay and suchlike (sort of presumptious). It just needs to be set up and ready to have rabbits in, minus the contents.

They may also want to have a chat with you, as well as see your accommodation. On my website there is what we look for at a home visit (under the section about volunteering, right at the bottom) but it varies rescue to rescue.

Like other people said, I think they are just looking at your set up and will ask a few questions:)
GOOD LUCK!:D

I have just started doing home checks for PACT. It's basically what people have said, checking the housing, will bunny be free range? How much time in the hutch etc. Check that an appropriate diet will be provided. Check the health of any other pets they might have, knowledge of the owner, who cares for the bunnies, if its kids, make sure the adult is the responsible owner who supervises the kids, chat about anything glaringly wrong that needs addressing, e.g. wires where bun is given free range etc. Go through any information being provided. -All common sense stuff.:D Oh and I used Sky-O's information for RSPCA home checkers for my first one, that was really helpful- so thanks Tracy!!

Thank you :) I'll have a look at Sky-O's link. The hutch and run I'm getting were the rescue recommended ones and I've just checked the rabbit adoption policy and I think I've got everything they need.

Back