• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Backwards litter training

Pandora7

Warren Scout
Both my buns were litter trained and thankfuly only peeing in the litter tray.

But all of a sudden they have started peeing in the opposite corner of the hutch.

I have tried moving the wet straw, megazorb and paper. Even srubbing it to get rid of the scent to no avial.

I purchased another litter tray so there is on in each corner, but pandora and leo seem to be pushing it out of the way and peeing in the space they can pee there.

Anyone got any idea's would leo's truama have caused this or is it just one of them things?

Ours do this every now and again. I'm not sure of the reason. The pooing isn't so bad but weeing on the hutch floor is yukky. I just put a new litter tray there with a brick in it to stop them moving it. After a while they seem to abandon using it and I can remove it. I put nice hay in the preferred litter tray to encourage them to use that one.

Sometimes I think really thoroughly cleaning the hutch too often makes them want to 'mark' it more. Ours are quite good now and I only have to sweep up a few stray poos when doing the litter tray.

Illness can cause litter tray habbits to go out of the window.

Have they been checked by a vet recerntly? (you say Leo had a trauma?)

Also, spring fever causes hormonal increases, so, when did this all start?

Insecurity - feeling threatened can also make buns want to territory mark with wee.
Theyare saying "This is MY place - KEEP OUT".

Our buns have also just started strange activities with their litter trays. All was fine until about 3 weeks ago when wee appeared in various corners of the hutch. This has been followed by digging out the contents of their litter trays. All I can assume is that hormones have gone out of control and spaying will calm them down - ops taking place on Friday.

If anyone has the magic touch please let us know!::)

I have had this too. My two have never weed out of the tray since being trained (they do however still poo a lot out of the tray) but the last couple of mornings I have found someone has weed out of the tray on the floor of their shed beside the tray!:roll:. It seems only to be when they are locked in the shed overnight. Not sure why either. I think they just do as they please most of the time!

Hm they obviously really want to pee on the floor. I don't know if there's much you can do except fasten the litter boxes so that they can't move the litter box!

GrahamL makes a very good point about illness 1st showing as loss of litter training.
I would say that it's the 1st. thing to check out unless there's something very obvious like you've just got a new addition to the household etc.

Something we can do to help them, is to only use plain water for cleaning the tray & clean the tray daily, but save a small amount of poop & old litter to put on top of the new.

Back