• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

For E. Cuniculi

kstevens7

Young Bun
After some reading I learned Lapizole/Panacur for 28 days should lessen the the amount of the parasite in her system and 'cure' her that way.

Also, that anti-inflammatories give a rabbit the best chance of recovering from the symptoms she already have. Is metacam the best thing to use in this circumstance? Apparently there is debate about whether to use steroids or not. What do you think?

Thanks.

Only bunny savvy vets should use steroids as they are contraindicated in rabbits and I think even then they would only consider using them if your bunny presented with severe symptoms of EC! You also have to be very patient, it can take a while longer than the 28days and it may seem like your bunny will never get better then suddenly the symptoms start to go :D

I'm struggling with the whole 'bunny savvy' vet thing.

I've ordered lapziole and metacam. To be honest Riley is okay - she has a head tilt and i've seen her lose balance 3 times but she's eating well and drinking normally. Her weight is actually going back up after her stasis episode.

We went to the vet last week and she doesn't have an ear infection so it DOES look like e.cuniculi. I don't think steroids are necessary for her (and I don't really want to risk something that could actually make the parasite worse) - she doesn't seem to be in immediate danger, so I think I'll stick with the metacam and the lapizole and see how we go.

Thanks!

Back