• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Filling in holes that they have dug

Stator

Warren Veteran
Do you think it's cruel to allow your rabbits to dig holes and then fill them in? Do you think it upsets them?

I tell mine off for digging and usually they stop if I shout their name. I have had a few huges holes though when I've been busy cleaning hutches and sheds and not been able to see what they are up to. I filled them in and they don't seem bothered in the least. They tend to dig in the same spots over and over though :?

Had a beuatifully dug hole,put my arm in and went even longer.Sadly,I had to fill it in.
Let Mrs Bun out again, she ran straight over and her little face was like :shock::shock::shock:Mumma!!!! Its gone!!!!!

aw!!

mine have a run as the garden is too big and not secure enough for them to free range so i had to fill the holes in fear of escape.

my last bun maisie was so bad i ended up flagging the enclosure as i was scared she would get out while i wasn't there. :(

They put so much effort and seem to enjoy digging it so much that it just feels cruel. :?
I guess the only other option would be to block off access to that area, but I think that might make them even more frustrated

It's in their own safety though if they're trying to dig out...

My Dad was EXCEPTIONALLY cruel, he used to fill the holes with stones. :shock:

We had trouble with the girls digging not long after we got them.
My dad then built a gate to block of the area :lol:

The only thing you can do is keep filling the holes or block the area off.
Atleast if you keep filling them in they can keep digging and have fun ;)

But i would be too worried they would escape :( :lol:

Molly loves digging, I would never tell her off as I dont think she would really understand, its natural for her, and I feel like she gets frustrated when she cant dig.

If I didn't fill in the holes they'd be in Australia by now! :shock: I think they're a little miffed at first, but they soon cheer up when they realise they can just dig another!

:lol::lol: Did Storm dig the hole he's in in your siggy?

:shock: Storm is a ladybun! :lol:

That one is a group effort! They all love to dig, even Billy with his 3 legs! I keep filling it in, they keep digging it out. There's a plant pot sat in it at the moment until I can be bothered to fill it in properly again! :oops: Looks a bit odd but does the job! :lol:

Absolutely cruel , judging by the look on their faces after they've been filled in!!!:lol::lol:

I have a photo of some fab tunnels dug by a few buns at the sanctuary...

warren-1-1.jpg

There are 4 buns in the enclosure, but only three that actually dug the holes.

They moved so much earth that in some places it has settled a good 8" higher than the original ground level.

Bunnies love their tunnels!

Back