• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sore hocks ?

pennypoos

Mama Doe
Yesturday was nail clipping and grooming day for my bunnies. As I was seeing to misty my dwarf lop, i noticed that she had a small bald patch on her back foot. The bald patch is about the size of a 5 pence piece, it doesn`t look sore and is not red in colour it just looks like the skin is a little bit dry. Could it be the start of sore hocks ? should i take her to see the vet ?

Impossible to say without seeing it !! A pic would be helpful :)

There is a normal thickened bit of skin on the hocks of most Rabbits, but as it is usually covered with fur it often goes unnoticed.

I don`t seem to be able to post pics from my photo bucket account since my OH re-installed our lap top a couple of months ago. I`ll get him to take a look at it when he comes home from work tonight.
I`v just been outside and noticed that she is getting the same little bald patch on her other back foot. I think i`ll go to the vets just to have it looked at anyway just to be on the safe side :)

Sounds like a common normal pink bald callous which has not yet become sore hock but has possibility of doing so if aggravated. I'd check all risk factors - weight, nail length, floor surface and dryness and any mobility issues :wave:

I would NOT apply anything to it at this stage IMO :)

Sounds like a common normal pink bald callous which has not yet become sore hock but has possibility of doing so if aggravated. I'd check all risk factors - weight, nail length, floor surface and dryness and any mobility issues :wave:

I would NOT apply anything to it at this stage IMO :)

Hi not seen you around for a while. Hope you and baby are both ok :wave:
Mistys nails are cut regularly, though i only snip a little bit of at a time because she has dark coloured nails and her quick is very difficult to see. litter trays are emptied and cleaned out every other day, i use hemcore and hay for bedding and she lives in a 6x2 hutch with a 6x4 attatched run. I`v just weighed her on my elecric scales and they say she weighs 7lbs. She doesn`t seem to have any mobility issues, she bombs around the patio area like a rabbit on steroids and does huge binkies :lol:

Hi not seen you around for a while. Hope you and baby are both ok :wave:
Mistys nails are cut regularly, though i only snip a little bit of at a time because she has dark coloured nails and her quick is very difficult to see. litter trays are emptied and cleaned out every other day, i use hemcore and hay for bedding and she lives in a 6x2 hutch with a 6x4 attatched run. I`v just weighed her on my elecric scales and they say she weighs 7lbs. She doesn`t seem to have any mobility issues, she bombs around the patio area like a rabbit on steroids and does huge binkies :lol:

Aww thanks yes we're doing ok :wave:

Is there any fur over the bald patches?

I have just had Willow at the vets. Noticed a wee pink sore on the hock. Turns out theres one on hr other one too.

Vet just looked said it was a sore hock and said it was normal? Just to ensure her bedding was dry. There was no creams potions or treatment given..

I have lots of vet bed in the shed but with 3 bunnies nigh on impossible to keep dry as all of them pee everywhere!!!!

Any suggestions as to how to keep her wee hocks dry????

Back