• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rex Hocks?

missFloppyears

Warren Veteran
Ruby is what i think is rex cross something, but any how i noticed when checking the babies that one has what looks like sore hocks...(only mild at the moment)
what do you rex owners bed them on?
taaa guys is there any care i should give to these its only slightly bald at the moment but does seem a little sore when touched.

taa guys
x

Jacks Jane has a lot of experience with rexes- maybe she can help you?. Also there's someone on here called ravenrex- and I am just guessing...that maybe she has rexes too?
hope someone can help you
sue :wave:

I'd agree that JJ is your expert.
i have 2 rexes but may not be much use as mine are outdoor buns. Happy to share how I look after mine if its of any use to you.

I have a minirex, I use a very thick layer of soft hay on top of newspaper. I use lino and not carpet to line his hutch. His run is on grass.

hello :wave: i have a standard rex and never had issues with her feet, megazorb is brilliant stuff! i layer it down and then put hay on top. i clean her out everyday aswell xx

my 2 outdoor rexes are on a layer of megazorb - not too much but enough so there is no floor visible and it doesn't move around too much. Then I have soft (usually supermarket type) hay on top - a thick layer over the entire surface of the whole 2 storey hutch, again, enough so it doesn't move about to easily. They have their eating hay scattered in piles on top of that and anything they don't eat just gets left for them to sit on until the next weekend. I clear it all out every week and do spot cleaning and poo picking out twice a day. The layers are up to 4 inches thick in places - they make their own little piles and holes.
Their day run is seperate and in the summer they are on grass for about 10 hours a day plus another 3-4 free ranging. At the moment the grass is too wet so the run is on the decking and its got a layer of hay on the bottom which is anything up to about 3 inches thick, depending on where they've dragged it to.

hope this helps. I was paranoid when i first got them as the rexes I had as a child were very prone to sore hocks but that was quite some time ago and thinking and husbandry has moved on since then :lol:
my 2 have both got thick furry feet, Sparkle has one tiny bald spot on one back foot but it is under observation and hasn't changed in several months.

PM me if you want more info, tho I still say I'm not an expert.

Thanks all,

I had the family friend (vetinary nurse) look at them all today and neither of us could see a bald patch :oops: so its confirmied i have gone stir crazy:lol:

However this is all usefull info because we ran out of straw and ruby isnt keen on being bedded on Hay and i need to get new stuff tomorow so will get new bedding etc..

JLG my Ruby has very thick fuzzy feet and so do the babies its so adorable,:roll::love::love::love:

Back